Possible substitute for a La Scalla bass bin?

moray james

I have tried to post the drawing and data on a Beck horn design but can't get it to drop into the post here so I have included a link to the original German site which you can translate with Google or Bable. The design is for a bass horn cabinet which while a little larger than a La Scalla (bass section 2'x2'x2') cabinet is much smoother in response (if the curve is real) and which extends out to 500Hz and down to 70Hz. I would be interested in any comment with respect to this horn design. I am thinking about using it along with subs and a pair of Nick McKinney unity horns. Any input or suggestions would be most welcome Thank you regards Moray James.

http://www.egbeck.de/bec2.htm

Well, it actually starts to crap out at 450hz.

My pref, instead of trying to extend the end at the cost of the upper end, would be to focuss on a sub woofer solution such as the kp-480

Thanks for your input. I have been considering a distributed sub bottom end with four or five 6.5 inch TB bass drivers in quite compact tapped horn cabinets. The idea with the Beck horn was to get smoother response out to the crossover point of the Unity horn (370 Hz.) than would be possible with the La Scalla cabinet. Not having heard the Beck is of course a bit of a problem but the response does look promissing and the layout looks to be well thought out.The KP-480 goes lower than either the La Scalla or the Beck but not up to the Unity so an additional cabinet gets thrown into the mix. Regards Moray James.