Quality assurance discussion

Mutate

Culled from another thread to avoid going off-topic.

I respect your opinion. However, if my experience was so unique, many of the older threads in this forum should not have occured.
For the record, I purcahsed my Klipsch Custom 3s from a local authorized dealer in my area (BC, Canada).

Unfortunately, when I attempted to have my concerns dealt with through official warranty channels, I was unable to even get a response from the company that Klipsch had subcontracted their Canadian business to.

I appreciated that when Amy on this board was made aware of my predicament, she attempted to make my situation whole. The tipping point was when I received a replacement set, and out of the box, it had a worse kink at the headphone plug than the set I returned under RMA. I would have expected that a replacement product under RMA would at least have been even cursorily examined to ensure the item is in a condition worthy of the Klipsch name.

What that demonstrated to me is a lack of care for the end user. I understand that Klipsch prides itself on being a smaller company with strong community ties. That is why I found my personal experience so in congruous with what I understood Klipsch stood for.

While I understand you may not desire to have negative threads posted in the 'official' Klipsch forums, I feel this is a matter that needs to be presented to Klipsch in order for them to learn from. I think most would agree that $299 is no small amount of money for an average consumer, and if nothing else, it entitles me to an opinion.

I have never been asked by a Klipsch representative what my experience was with the process, nor was I given the opportunity to present feedback. I have taken my time to present my observations in a respectful manner in the hopes of educating others.

I do find it ironic that you mention that your own images are experiencing what appears to be a fairly common strain relief issue, yet you appear to have no concerns dropping hard earned money for a product that in my mind obviously requires further investigation into.

It's too bad there's no such thing as recall legislation like there is in the automotive industry to force companies to make whole consumers suffering from a manufacturing defect.

In response to:

No long term experience with the Custom 3 but have had Custom 2 since when they first became available. Absolutely no problems with the cabling or sheathing though after a lot of use over 13 months I was able to get the Image x10. The Custom 2 are pretty much as the day I took them out of the packaging.

My image x10 on the other hand have developed the dreaded splitting of the strain reliefs but not severe and have not gotten worse. Didn't notice any problems until I'm sure well after a year. I probably need to send them in while still under warranty but frankly have been a bit paranoid that I'd get a set not as good as the one's I have.

I've wondered a couple of things abou the problems with the cables. Klipsch I think had said they did not change the cable design. I've met the audio engineer who did the acoustic design work. Even got to try the Custom and original IMAGE as prototypes. I have no reason to believe they'd cover up a change.

But people have had issues. And here's my totally unofficial wild speculations what might have happened.

• Potentially suppliers supplying compenents not quite up to spec or changing the spec. I'm sure Klipsch does a better job of most companies of keeping an eye on their manufacturers in China but it's possible things slip through the cracks.
  • Maybe a bad batch or two of cabling that didn't meet specs got through quality control
  • Maybe factory shipped out a few of the rejects.

Other things and I think this would be very unlikely to occur for items obtained directly from Klipsch or authorized retailers unless they obtained some stock from unauthorized sources.

• B stock goods (those with defects) making it into the distribution channels. Maybe tossed out or sold instead of being destroyed.
  • Counterfeits. Copyright and patent laws at best seem to be rather loosely enforced in China, if at all.
  • I would be very leary of buying the Klipsch 'phones from an unauthorized retailer or distributor for these reasons.

I think in testing the only thing the engineers have found that would cause problems with the x10 (and x5) cables is gasoline. I've noticed with my x10's they appear to have a very fine seam but maybe the strain relief was supposed to be a solid molding. (my theory of suppliers cutting corners without Klipsch's approval).

Just my very humble opinions but even with my splitting strain reliefs on my x10's they are very well built. Cables remain nice and flexible.

Unfortunately, however it has happened, some people have gotten some 'phones that just aren't up to standards. And gotten replacements that were bad. I suspect that the percentage of bad 'phones is relatively small or maybe limited to one or two production runs? Or somebody was asleep somewhere.