VC-25 with Fisher RS-939

KPJoy

Hi:

I just purchased (2) WF-35, (1) WS-350, and (1) VC-25. I purchased the VC-25 because it is the only Klipsch center speaker carried by Best Buy. The sales person knocked 15% off the price of the WS-350 and VC-25 because he realized I wasn’t going to purchase them without an incentive.

I’m not sure I should keep the VC-25. I’m concerned my amp may be too much for them, but I’m not sure.

I’m going to drive them with a Fisher RS-939. It’s specifications are:

Main Amplifier (Stereo mode)

Continuous minimum sine wave RMS power output per channel at 8 ohms 20Hz to 20kHz @ 150 watts

Main Amplifier (Pro Logic mode)

Continuous minimum sine wave RMS power output at 1kHz into 8 ohms (with Center/Surround amplifiers off) @ 140 watts

Center Channel Amplifier (CENTER)

Continuous minimum sine wave RMS power output at 1kHz into 8 ohms (with Main/Surround amplifiers off) @ 140 watts

Surround Channel Amplifier (SURROUND)

Continuous minimum sine wave RMS power output per channel at 1kHz into 8 ohms (with Main/Center amplifiers off) @ 70 watts

I don’t know why, or how, the receiver will drive the center channel with the “Main/Surround amplifiers off”. Running just the center speaker is not one of the “surround modes” illustrated in the manual. The center speaker seems to always be used in conjunction with at least the front speakers (WF-35), if not also with the surround channels.

As the VC-25 is rated at “75 W continuous, 300 W peak”, will my receiver damage the center speaker?

Secondly, Best Buy sells Klipsch surround model RS-42BLA at $249.98 and model VS-14 at $324.98. Should I purchase the 75W RMS model RS-42 to go with this system?

Thanks.