K-77 tweeter diagphram replacement alignment tone

DrewBolce

I am finally replacing one of my K-77 tweeter diagphram ( 5 years overdue). I have read where a 1khz signal while assembling will help insure proper alignment of the components.

When I do this I get a strong tone but as I tighten the screws it diminishes to almost nothing. I am using a 1 Vrms signal generated by my soundcard. This may be normal since the tone is well below the capability of the speaker.

Has anyone done this? It seems to me that a 4khz tone would be more useful for a tweeter that is intended to be used above 3.5khz.

It seems like a good idea but I would like to impliment it correctely.

Did you remember to salvage and re-use the gasket from the old diaphragm?

Absolutely, I ended up running a frequency sweep from 1khz to 20 khz ( even though my hearing is gone at 14khz ). Sure enough, the 1khz dies as you tighten the screws. The higher tones however, get stronger. Just your normal resonance changes I am sure.

I was able to perfect the alignment by doing this. There was a difference that can be tweeked by tightening the screws and twisting the assembly slightly. I removed my other tweeter and adjusted both for best operation and equality by ear. I am hoping this is a gross enough procedure so that it is ok to do by ear and will not require a set up with a microphone to do some real measuring.