RB-25 Connection?

boa12

steve p mentioned under the aragon section that the new

stage one pre/pro will have an rb-25 connection for it's direct input. i haven't heard anything about this & can't find anything really w/ net searches.

is this a serial type connection on the pre/pro end & 6 rca plugs for the direct/analog outputs on the dvd player end? i haven't seen any dvd players offering it

& certainly haven't seen the interconnect.

is this going to be the new standard? rb-25 on both ends?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

It is called a "DB-25" connector and is a very common type of connection. In the electronics world, it has been used for years as a way to connect THX certified amps and preamps together. It is an optional part of the THX spec. (The DB-25 connectors are in addition to standard RCA type jacks). Monster Cable has been making a DB-25 to DB-25 THX certified cable for just such a connection. Not many electronics manufacturers offer a DB-25 preout jack in addition to the standard RCA preouts, but some do.

In the case of the new Aragon Stage One, we are using the DB-25 connector as an input jack on the back, as opposed to using it as an alternative method of preout. That is what is new. Integra Research is also doing this on their RDC-7 THX preamp. In both cases (Stage One and RDC-7), the DB-25 connector is the multi-channel external input. It takes up far less precious real estate on the back panel of a product than 8 RCA jacks would. Since the input bypasses the DSP engine, it can be used as an input for a DVD-A or SACD player. In the case of Integra, they supply a cable with the unit for use with a source player. Their cable is a DB-25 to six female RCA jacks. You would then need to purchase three pair of interconnects to complete the connection to your DVD player. We will shortly be offering a cable for use with our processor too and that is what Steve is talking about.

Jim

thanks jim! interestin. you say for integra: "Their cable is a DB-25 to six female RCA jacks. You would then need to purchase three pair of interconnects to complete the connection to your DVD player."

is this the same aragon will be offering?

my real interest is because I've been holding off on a new dvd-audio/sacd/hdcd player until they have the new standard. what i really don't want is 6 or eight more interconnects. cwm4.gif

whether they ever go to digital connect for these formats or not is really secondary for me.

so if my b&k ref 30 offers this rb-25 on the upgrade (whenever it comes Frown.gif) & more new dvd players offer it,

that may be a go for me.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

DVD-A and SACD players do not offer it. They use six RCA jacks for their outputs. We will most likely be offering a cable that goes from DB-25 to male RCA's so that you don't have to buy interconnects in addition to our cable.

Some manufacturers are looking at using an IEEE1394 connection (firewire) for the outputs of DVD-A and SACD players. the problem is, there is no accepted standard for doing that yet. That is why everyone is still using analog RCA outs for DVD-A and SACD. The Stage One has a blank panel on the back that is labeled as an Expansion Port. We put it there so that if and when a digital standard is made for DVD-A and SACD and it uses a type of connection we haven't already provided, we'll be able to add it. Who knows what it will be. IEEE1394 is certainly one option.

Jim

jim, ok i thought u meant above that some dvdp makers have an rb-25 output. that sounds like a good idea on your part - one cable w/ no additional connections. guess if someone uses like say 6 of the outputs instead

of 8 on the dvdp just leave the extra hangin.

that ieee seems to be the way they're leaning. my b&k already has the ieee port, just no card. if they'd just do the existing opt or coax dig connect that'd be ideal. guess we'll see...

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa12,

Just wanted to drop a note - if you're doing a web search for info on products that use the multipin connector rather than individual RCA-terminated patch cords, the name of the connector is "DB-25" not "RB".

To quote from the Cisco website:

DB:

data bus connector. Type of connector used to connect serial and parallel cables to a data bus. DB connector names are in the format DB-x, where x represents the number of wires within the connector. Each line is connected to a pin on the connector, but in many cases, not all pins are assigned a function. DB connectors are defined by various EIA/TIA standards.

Thus, the DB-25 is a "data bus" connector with 25 pins available for use. Most implementations use fewer than all 25. For example, on a computer, the early serial printers only used 3 or 4 pins: pins 2 and 3 were used for transmit and receive signals, pin 7 was the signal ground, and sometimes pin 20 was hooked up as the chassis ground.

This is what one of these things looks like:

db25.gif

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

This message has been edited by Ray Garrison on 04-11-2002 at 10:51 AM