KG 2, KG 2.2 KG 3 KG 3.2

jerryd

Hey guys. see an awefull lot of threads of comparisons of the heavy hitters. I am lookig for some feedback on these small guys. I dont crank the music in the bedroom. Listen at very low levels actually on Marantz 2220/2245. I have fortes but just want some smaller speakers for the space. Plus I think it may actually sound better at low levels with smaller speakers. The room is small like 11 x 12 ft. I came across a post were a guy actually liked the sound of KG 2 s better than KG 4 s. Said they imaged better. He may have had smaller listening space as well.I like the shape of the KG 2.2s. but the low bass specs of the KG 2 looks attractive.

I have a pair of KG3's I bought in 1992, I currently use them as surrounds with my Fortes for mains in my HT - but previously they were in my formal living room (10' x 14') and they sounded great - plenty of low end with the 8" woofer and 10" passive. I had them toed in slightly and on 8" speaker stands with a slight upward angle.

• 2 months later...

I will update my own thread since there wasnt much interest. I tried KLF10, KG 4.2, KG 2.2 and my beloved Forte II. All speakers stock. In short nothing came close to the Fortes. Even for near field low volume listening the Fortes cant be toppled. They are just an outstanding speaker. If I give the Forte a 10 then i would rate the others as follows:

2.2 gets a 7/10. sounded dark, flat. poor low level detail.

4.2 considerably better. 8/10 noticeably better than 2.2 right away. still short of forte in every sense.

klf 10. 8.5/10 . the 10 is just darker sounding. less music detail getting through. forte just sounds fuller. the 10 may have had slighly better bass. and I really likely the look of klf 10. was hoping i could live with sound change but to me it wasnt even close. going from klf10 to forte was like lifting a towel from the front of the speakers.

and as an interesting side note. I found some nice cabinets at a garage sale for 20$. EPI m150. or so i thought I was buying some nice cabinets. The owner said the speakers sounded great and i could bring them back if I didnt like them. I said I was just interested in the cabinets. I was wanting to try some 8 full range and thought these cabinets would be pefect. well a big surprise awaited me. these speakers sound absolutely fantastic. they are the closet thing in the house compared to my fortes. they have mids and highs to die for and surprisingly good bass from a single eight driver. They won the wifes bedroom system spot with ease. 9.25/10

I have owned almost every KG speaker at east once......

I think the KG 2.2s are a great speaker for their size.

Perfect for a bedroom......

KG2s and KG 3s are each bigger and a little more bassy due to the passive radiators.

I had a set of KG 5.2s also; the 4.2s are similar. Also an excellent speaker for what it is.

I generally prefer 3 way Heritage; so the 5.2s were ultimately sold (regretting this, they were awesome for HT).

My Heresies sound better; even at loud volumes (with a sub). I had 'em cranked on Saturday evening as no neighbors were home......

Man are the Heresies the little speaker that CAN.

You can not go wrong with KGs though. (Be careful; some KG 2s and possibly others are 4 ohm instead of 8; might not play nice with some amps or receivers).....