Damping material, to be or not to be

amadork9

Klipsch doe not use damping material in the cornwall ll and I dont know why. Any how I purchased 1 inch wedge foambymail (remnants) enough to do the whole of each cabinet or should I just do 3 sides (top, 1 side, back)? My second question, they say this will improve the bass responce but why does it improve the midrange?

Klipsch does use damping in the Cornwall speaker. It looks like a paper lined material but it is damping. if your cabinets are just bare wood inside then this damping has been removed by someone. With a well designed reflex cabinet you don't need or want volume damping as might be seen in a closed box design. The old three side coverage is good to get the job done. You are only interested in damping internal reflections and your horns will also help to break things up. The main bulk of the cavity must be free to resonate so the reflex vent can become energized and do its job of damping the cabinet volume. This may sound counter intuitive but you have to have one resonating volume to excite another. So do not stuff your cabinets as that will prevent the reflex vent from functioning properly. When a driver is damped correctly excessive and unwanted motion is eliminated so it is easy to see why mid range operation will improve. Hope this helps. regards Moray James.

Hey sorry if I was in error. All the photos that I have seen of the inside of Cornwal's have had the thin pads inside on the walls. The Cornwall is a vented cabinet and only three inside walls with damping is enough to damp internal reflections and the main cavity of the cabinet is left open and the vent then takes care of (damps) the primary driver / cabinet resonance.

With closed boxes stuffing is usually evenly dispersed throughout the cavity and the amount will depend upon the driver used. Theory says you can achieve as much as 30 - 40% of increased cabinet volume by stuffing but it is not normally that high a percent in practice.

Has anybody gor any pictures of the iside of a Cornwall ll? Regards Moray James.