2 way speaker advice

saj3

2nd time poster here...I'm looking for an LCR setup with a rather unique set of demands. I'm designing my new HT to have a custom array of sealed 12" mid bass drivers, which I was planning on running from 80 to around 800 hz. I'll need a 2 way speaker to cross with this mid-bass setup. This is designed around movies, not music. I'm looking for effortless dynamics and great detail...around 800hz and up.

The Klipsch THX ultra LCR's were some of the intial offerings that interested me...2 way, powerful, efficient. The RF-7II is an interesting 2 way tower. I've also considered the active Genelecs and the Seaton Sparks. What options am I missing?

It's a non-traditional setup, so I haven't been able to browse any boards for relevant opinions. What speakers do you think would fit my demands the best? Thanks in advance for any advice...you guys are the experts, so I really appreciate your input.

If you want an 800 Hz crossover from 12" speakers, I'd suggest an Altec Lansing 800 Hz horn (#811B). Very efficient, extremely well made in the USA and used in many commercial theaters. The appropriate drivers are in the 800 or 900 series. You can buy one, or as many as you want on the used market. This is Altec Professional equipment, not the home entertainment line. Here is the online reference: http://www.altecpro.com/products/vintage/index.htm#horns

Interesting suggestion. I know altec has a solid rep amongst professionals, but this is crossing into an area in which I have little expertise. While I mentioned that I want limitless dynamics, I don't want to sacrifice sound quality either. I'm still looking for a system with the refinement and clarity of top notch home equipment; commercial horns scare me a little. Can the altecs hold their own in that respect? Thanks!

They more than hold their own. These sectorial horns were designed by James B. Lansing and are the best high fidelity horns ever designed. (Also the most expensive to produce!) Frequency response is 800-20,000 HZ in the case of the horns you need. You don't need the full range A7/800 system (800 hz horn plus 15" woofer) for your application, since you already have the 12" woofers, just the high frequency horn and its associated driver.

I've had a pair of Altec A7/500 loudspeakers (500 Hz horn and 15" horn loaded woofer) in my Grade-A home stereo system for over 20 years. They bring out the best from my made in USA Marantz and McIntosh components and simply blow the socks off most high end home speakers. I am passing the Altecs along to a friend who can use them and downgrading to Klipsch RF-7 II's to free up a little space in my overcrowded living room, but I know that, as ultimate speakers, the Altecs are better. Closest to equivalent in the Klipsch line would be the La Scala theater speakers or the KHorns, which are also very fine full range systems.