RB3 wall mountable?

bacevedo

Does anyone know if the RB3 speakers have keyholes or screwholes on the back, so that you can use a wall mount to mount them to the ceiling or wall?

If not, do the SB1, 2 or 3 have these as well?

I am getting ready to move, and my RCW3 in walls are staying, so I will need new surrounds. I don't want to go the in-wall route again, so I am looking at getting some smaller bookshelf surrounds that will match my RB5 and RC3 front speakers. I will want to mount these speakers from the ceiling, so that I can have them out to the sides and slightly behind the listening position.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Velodyne SPL1200 Subwoofer

Monster HTS1000 Power Conditioner

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

Caution, bacevedo, some bookshelf speakers (such as the SB-2) have rear ports that must have some inches to get the full sound out of their modest bass reflex enclosures.

Most speakers used with wall mounts are "sealed" units. Check the "PRODUCTS" section for both old and new Klipsch speakers that have your interest and click on "SPECIFICATIONS" to determine a suitable fit. Happy hunting! cwm13.gif -HornEd

PS: Noted authority on acoustics and psychoacoustics, Floyd E. Toole, Ph.D., makes a strong case for wall mounts over ceiling mounts for music and HT.

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-11-2002 at 01:42 PM

What I mean by ceiling mount, is that they would be hung from the ceiling, as my listening room wouldn't have side walls to mount to. So in essence, I would use a speaker mount (like an omnimount), coming down from the ceiling, and the speaker would be floating, toed in and down towards the listening position. I don't want in-ceiling speakers or in-wall speakers. These speakers would be several feet from the side walls, and therefore the port would have plenty of free space to let the bass come out. I don't need the wall reinforcement, as they would be set to small anyway, so the bass doesn't need to be reinforced by a wall.

I did check the specs, but none of them say anything about a screw hole in the back, but I know the SB1 has them. My father-in-law and brother-in-law both use the SB1 like this, so I know that it works very well, and I like the sound. I am just trying to get a speaker that will match better to my RB5 mains. So I would rather go with an RB3 vs an SB1, 2 or 3.

Thanks,

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Velodyne SPL1200 Subwoofer

Monster HTS1000 Power Conditioner

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

Ah, the light dawns, yes that can be a good method but the bookshelves you have targeted have no provisions for mounting. It would seem, however, that some method of attachment could be fashioned.

Faced with a similar problem for creating Front Effects speakers with SB-2's, I built slim poles from ABS pipe and fittings from Home Depot. They can be seen in the background of the photo in my sig below. In that case, I used industrial strength Velcro to attach the speaker to the ABS pipe cap.

cwm40.gif I suspect that a mount with a broad base and without restrictions to the rear port should work if the speaker is attached with industrial Velcro. I have used this technique for over five years without a problem.

One thing I might change is to invert the speaker so that the horn can be closer to the ears and the woofer is positioned to get more benefit from walls and/and or ceiling.

Good luck! -HornEd

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-11-2002 at 03:41 PM

Bryan - Scoot over to Showcase and see if there are mounts on the back of the RB-3's, or call 'em and ask a salesman.

As for a mount in case they don't, wonder if one of those ceiling mounts for a TV would work. Don't know if they make the ceiling mounts that small (for a 13" TV), but it would have a shelf on it that you could set the RB-3 on and secure it with velcro (a la HornEd) or a strap.

Doug

------------------

My System