SW-311 Subwoofer Comments

wfo1955

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased two of these and for my use I have not been disappointed. I have tried with just 1 on and I was a little disappointed, but I knew one was not enough for my room size so that was expected. My room is approximately 5000 cubic feet. Even before purchasing these I had the intentions of adding a larger sub later on, perhaps a THT if I have the time or a 12/15".

For likes: I like how small they are. For the size they are very effective. Watching movies I have yet to be let down. Compared to other peoples setups I have heard the bass is very well blended with the rest of the audio. I am comparing to KEF and Velodyne subs. Turning up the volume didn't have any negative impact on the bass.

Dislikes: When I listen to music they don't hit as low as I would like. Having said that when keeping in mind that it is a 10" you will not be disappointed. Also I would not have purchased this subwoofer at the full retail price. I got 2 at approximately the MSRP of 1 and that is why I went with them. I am sure you with the same money you could go with something like the HSU/SVS models and get something better but I am basing this one what other people have said. I have not had a chance to listen to HSU/SVS models.

I know that my settings need to be tweaked on my receiver but on bass heavy music these are a bit lacking for my liking but again that is my secondary use so I didn't really care and also I have not made any setting changes on the subs yet to get the most out of them. I need a free weekend to play around lol.

I am waiting for my SPL meter to arrive so I can get some data on these.

I have compared to 2 Velodyne DLS-5000R and they were LOUD but I liked the sound better from the 2 SW-311 especially for movies which is my primary use. The velodynes sounded very boomy. It was almost unnatural.

Also it took me a long time set these up for my room and I am still making tweaks. If I could go back I would still purchase these as the total package is worth it for me. My friend with the velodynes could not believe that I was getting that much bass from such small subs.

Also as this is my first HT setup the first thing I learned was that placement made all the difference for me with these.

I have listened to the RT-12D and was planning to get the RF-83's and two of the RT-12D subs but missed the boat as I waited too long. The RT-12D to me sounded more powerful but again different setups and I heard that one a year ago.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Tried to test the sub at different frequency with a test cd. I need a sound pressure meter to get some actual figures but from what I have noticed based on listening alone is that around 24hz-25hz there is a lot of power and at 22hz-23hz it starts to roll off. Will check by how much and try to get some numbers behind this. Other than in movies this is the first time I have listened to the sub at low frequencies for extended periods of time and what really stands out is how many things are vibrating in my room, especially the window on the back wall which is 32ft away. At first I thought it was the the blinds rattling but it was actually the window itself. Anyhow I will get more meaning full information in the next couple of days with sound pressure meter data.