5.1 Ultras - Jumpy Control Pod

necifix

Hi,

I recently bought a Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 set from a friend. I'm currently installing a cooling kit in it to prevent overheating (hit some snags but good so far). However, before I started the procedure, I hooked the speakers up as they were to test to see if everything worked. Everything worked fine, however, the control pod was a bit off. Every time I tried to use the dial to change the volume, it would barely if at all go up. I had to push it in a bit and it would make a small grating or scraping sound as I turned it and this time it definitely changed, but, it would jump back and forth, I.E. it would go from volume 22 to 21 to 20 to 19 then up to 26 then down to 24 then up to 28. It would jump up and down as I changed it, it did this in both directions. How can I remedy this? Do I need to replace the DIN plug or is there a way to take it apart and lubricate the plug or something like I've read before?

Thanks,

Necifix

It's been a long time but this was an issue with the ProMedia 5.1 THX when they came out initially. Turns out that pressure on the control knob during shipment was the cause. The solution was a new control pod, unfortunately, or setting the volume and then changing with your computer. Klipsch replaced these control pods for anyone who reported the issue back and a permanent solution was quickly discovered and thus never even affected the 5.1 Ultras.

I guess what I'm saying is your control pod is having the same issue as a previous model that was due to an issue with pressure being placed on the control pod. Since these aren't made anymore, your best option is to either repair it yourself (no idea exactly how to do this) or to buy a control pod off eBay.

Maybe someone else will have another option but that's what I remember :-/