Upgrade

dbshelton

I am now using a Carver CT-17 Dolby ProLogic preamp and Adcom 2535 and 535 amps (approx 60 watts/channel) in my bedroom system. I am wanting to upgrade so I can benefit from newer technology of HDMI and the newer processors.I have a new Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver in my living room system that really sounds great and has all of the bells and whistles I could think of.

I can probably buy a new receiver with preamp outputs much cheaper than finding a new preamp with the features I want.May even buy another Pioneer 1120 just like my other, or maybe a Marantz SR5005, Yamaha RX-V667, or Onkyo TX-NR708 or something along those lines.

I am wondering if it will sound better with the increased power using the onboard amps in the receiver or if there would be any advantage to me utilizing the Adcom amps?

Depends on which Preamp.

I had Adcom amps with Pioneer Elite and there was a slight improvement with them, especially in power hungry bass.

Even the channels that were still using the Pioneer Elite amp sounded slightly better since there was not as much load on them.

I would recommend just using the what ever Integrated amp and enjoy it. Then when when the time is right get a really nice integrated or seperates system for the room you also listen to music the most often.

Adcoms and Klipsch are good for movies or Rock and Roll but can be harsh for two channel / music.