Image One compatible with non-apple products?

andyrennie

I recently had a pair of Klipsch X10i IEMs which worked fine and dandy with my iPhone 4 but would only work with my Cowon i9, S9 or J3 or my laptop if I

a) pulled the jack out a bit (which is no solution IMO)

B) pressed and held the microphone button (also no solution)

I realise this is due to their being an apple chip in there and the wiring is also supposedly different but I was disappointed as it did say in the description and on the packaging that it would work with other devices with a 3.5 mm jack.

I ended up returning the X10i and swapping them for the X10 that I can use with any standard 3.5 mm device.

I'm now looking at getting some full-size cans and would really like to get the Klipsch Image One, but don't want to shell out 115 euros for something I can only use on an apple product.

I'm aware that the remote will only work on apple products, and that's absolutely no problem for me. But not being able to listen to music properly, i.e. having to keep the middle remote button pressed all the time is a no-go for me.

Anyone out there also use the Image One's with a non-apple device? Or should I keep my fingers away from them...

Thanks for any info you can pass on!

Regards,

Andrew

It's got to be the four contact plug on the X10i and the Image One (and others with the i-control). You just can't insert the plug all the way with some devices. My stereo, computer, and portable radio/tape player work perfectly, but my portable CD player needs the plug pulled out just a tad to work correctly. It doesn't really bother me that the plug is not fully seated in the CD player.

Some devices must have slightly different sized (in length) 3.5mm jacks. I'd rather use my iPod for music anyway. I really like the volume and skip-to-next-song controls on the wire.

• 3 weeks later...

So what is Klipsch's official answer? The description page doesn't state that its for Apple products only,. But it also doesn't warn about compatibility issues either with other players either.

This is very concerning because I just ordered these headphones and I have intended to use them with my Samsung P3. I don't care about the microphone...

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose that is why they offer the i version and the non-i version for those who don't intend to use their phones with an Apple device. Personally, I really like the fact that I can control my Apple device with the control. I don't use the microphone, but use the volume and skip buttons regularly. [:)]

• 3 months later...

The big thing that I would like to see is full functional

support for Android based devices, (the S-i's are designed for Apple

products) the play button works fine but the (+) and (-) buttons do not

function for Android devices, with the popularity of Android based

devices it would be nice for Klipsch to come out with variants of their

various model headphones that have full functionality with Android based

devices

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm currently using the Image One Headphones with the Droid Bionic. None of the buttons work (as expected) but I'm able to use it as regular headphones with a microphone. I tested the microphone with a call to my wife, and she had no complaints on the pickup/sound.

I also plugged the headset into my headphone port on my PC, and it works fine there as well.