New RF7 II's, in a predicament about what to power them with

karlmalone1

Hey everyone I just picked up a set of RF7 IIs for a smokin price, and i can't wait to get these babies into action. I'll be using them for just stereo for music/movies. Long story short, i've done a lot of research on what to power them with and i've come down to getting a pioneer elite sc-35 receiver, or going the separate route and getting The emotiva UMC-1 + XPA2 combo. The pioneer receiver method would be slightly cheaper, as well as simpler, but will the overall sound quality be that much superior with the emotiva combo? Also, another thing of concern is that i have a 3D tv, and the pioneer receiver has 3d while the emotiva umc-1 does not. In a nutshell, does this mean i can't get the emotiva combo? And while i've done my research, i'm still pretty new to home audio, so excuse any of my ignorance.

Congrats on your purchase, you sound pretty excited. I would say that most if not all sub $1000 receivers will not be able to push the RF-7II's to the maximum potential, depending on your room size. If you really want to use 3D on your tv then yes, your not gonna wanna get the UMC-1. However, you can still get an Emotiva amplifier if you choose, all you need to do is find a receiver with 5.1 or more "pre-outs" so you can connect it to the amplifier. If you are going to be using a center channel I would recommend a mid level reciever with pre outs and a Emotiva XPA-3 to power the RF-7II's and whatever center channel you decide to use. Are you planning on using any other speakers? Subwoofers? How big is your room? Lets us all know and we can give you some more advice.

At this point i plan on just having a stereo setup, no surround sound or center channel in the foreseeable future, as well as no subwoofer. My room is roughly 22 x 10. The pioneer vsx1120k receiever i can find for pretty cheap, has pre outs. Would the combo of that and the xpa2 be far superior than something like the pioneer elite sc-35? I know the sc-35 has an "ICE" amp in it, which is class D, as opposed to the emotiva's class A? I guess basically i want the best bang for the buck.

Hmm, well is there any particular reason you want to buy the sc-35 if you are not going to be using it for what it was designed for? Seems like a monster of a receiver for just using 2 channel audio. You could try the vsx1120k and see how you like it with the RF-7II's and if you feel like something is lacking and want to try out the XPA-2, Emotiva has a trial period. What blu-ray player do you have? You could look at an Emotiva USP-1 and XPA-2, but that is just a strict stereo preamp, so you would just run hdmi to your tv straight from your blu ray and cable box. Good luck.

I have the rf-83 and although a different design they still have some similar energy situation. I remember the rf-7, the rf-83, and I assume the RF-7 II have a dip in impedience at around the 40 hertz range. I remember one of the Klipsch Engineers said that the rf-83 dip to 2.8 ohm at I think 43 hertz or so. I have a Denon 3805 which is not a bad receiver in its own right but it could not do 2.8 ohms and the bass was gone. The HK I had before did it but it was a stereo receiver. I had to purchase a Crown XTI 1000 to supplement the Denon and thus everything is fine. I went receiver but eventually just did the whole pre pro. If you are still doing a receiver I implore you to make sure it is atleast 4 ohm capable.

The Rf-7 are a upper level product and they deserve quality electronics. You also want to make sure the system works together and provides the sound balance you want. The Emotiva gear that I have heard tips towards the drier side so it would not be my first choice. Some guys like that balance and are happy with the Emotiva gear. If it was me I'd move up the food chain a little bit more.