Cornwall Crossover Question

Poorhouse

I have a pair of 1981 Cornwalls with all original parts, including the B2 crossover.

I am getting occasional speaker cut out at very low volume. Researching this it appears the problem is due to the crossover being worn out.

I plan to replace the original crossovers with Crites replacements. Want to confirm I am on the right track before dropping $200.

Thanks

I think you have dirty controls. Get some DeOxit contact cleaner, spray it into those controls (into the holes of the potentiometer casings and into the switch mechanisms), and work the controls round and round, up and down, in and out, or however they move... for a few minutes. Sometimes you have to do this every day for a few days to get everything all clean and clear.

It won't hurt to re-tighten the crossover connections and all the screws on the barrier strip.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to get Bob's networks, either; I love mine.

Both sets of speakers cutting in and out. The Cornwalls do it more though which seems odd.

The tech I plan on using confirmed the consensus here that the amps need cleaning/service.

Now I'm debating which to send in for service, Yamaha CR2020 or Pioneer SX1250.

I think I will go ahead and get the Crites crossovers. When I bought the Cornwalls a few months ago I posted them up here. It was recommended to replace the crossovers due to age (30 years). The Crites website says the same thing.

Glad to hear your tech is on the case.

Actually, it makes sense that the problem might happen more with the Cornwalls; they may be much more sensitive than your other speakers and use much less signal level. Dirty contacts in the pots and switches can act to block a low level signal only to be overcome when the contact is broken and remade or when the level is boosted (why jumping up the volume control or flipping the switches may suddenly allow the signal to pass).

For what its worth, I developed a habit a long time ago of giving all the knobs, levers, switches, and buttons a cycle or two of rotation, flipping, activation, and depression before each time I turned on the piece of gear (I started doing this with my tube amps I use as a guitarist to prevent the controls from sounding scratchy). On vintage HiFi gear you will have a lot of controls you may never use like balance, mute, filters, tape monitor, stereo/mono, speaker selection, maybe tone controls, etc. All these things are in the signal path and if not used for long periods of time they can become a source of noise or cause dropouts. The same habit of ritualistically working all these controls before use can help keep them clear for a long time.

Both of your receivers are top notch, what many vintage enthusiasts consider their ultimate dream gear. Good idea to let the tech service and clean them - they both have more switches and controls than some small nuclear facilities - definitely a job for a pro. My vote would be for servicing the Pioneer first. It "may" sound a bit better tonal match than the Yamaha on the Cornwalls .