Components for LS Clone and Khorns with Active Crossovers

KdAgain

I have just acquired an empty LaScala Clone to be used as a Center with our 2 Khorns. I need to select several items and would appreciate input from this esteemed group of people (except maybe JacksonBart!).

The 2 Khorns and LS clone will each be 2 way and have Active Crossovers, probably using the MiniDsp.

For HF drivers I have purchased BM-D750s as a result of Rudy81s successful pairng with the PAudio PH-4525 horn. I had been planning to use the PH-4525, but have read that the Goldwood GM-450PB may be an identical copy and for a good bit less. (Want to put a link here but don't see how.) Parts Express has them for $49.25. Do any of you have experience with these and or feel they are a suitable substitute?

For LS woofer it has been suggested I use the Eminence Kappa-15C which is available at Parts Express for $117.97. I have noticed several people are happy with Bob Crites woofers which are similar priced, but apparently a little wood has to be cut away for installation. I'd appreciate any thoughts here.

I'll also be needing some grill cloth. My 1958 Khorns still have what is probably the original grill cloth. They are kind of a tan color and have a nice vintage look, but one of them looks like it may have been water stained. (Don't know how as the Khorn doesn't look it.) My 1985 Heresy's which will become the sides have black and I'm thinking of putting black on the 3 fronts. Any suggestions for cloth to use?

Thanks very much for any answers that you may have.

Rod

Hi Dave,

Thaks very much for the response and suggestions. Looks like Bob has the woofer and grill cloth I need.

Still wondering if anyone has used the Goldwood horn with the PAudio driver, or if they have any thoughts on it. Note that these horns are 2" and I believe are CD. I'm sure they aren't as good as the huge Jubilee horns but should still (hopefully) be a good upgrade.

Yes it is "Quite a project". And a lot of new stuff to get with crossovers and extra amps.

Rod

Guest David H

Still wondering if anyone has used the Goldwood horn with the PAudio driver, or if they have any thoughts on it. Note that these horns are 2" and I believe are CD. I'm sure they aren't as good as the huge Jubilee horns but should still (hopefully) be a good upgrade.

Did some testing recently on the P-Audio driver, and the Faital Pro HF-200, I prefered the Faital Pro, but both tested good.. Not sure about the Goldwood horns.

You might check with Bob Crites on the horns as well, he has tested several.

Dave

I've ordered the grill cloth and woofer for the LS clone from Bob Crites. He was not familar with the PAudio 4525 horn or the Goldwood GM-450PB, nor have I been able to find anybody that new both.

What I did find out from talking to a speaker vendor is that the Paudio and Goldwood are both copies of the JBL 4525 horn. In fact one speaker vendors site says this about the PAudio: "Compares favorably to the JBL 4525". From what I can gather the Paudio and Goldwood are very similar so I went ahead and ordered 3 of them for our fronts. They will fit in our Khorn tops and new LS Clone top.

Thanks for your input here.

Rod