reference vs. synergy

tightwad

We're building a new house and I'm contemplating my stereo options.

Should I use Reference RC3II center channel and RCW-3 in walls or Synergy SC-1 SCW-2? Note my user id. I don't easily part with money.

The rest of the system will include new KSW12 sub woofer, a $200-500 receiver, DVD, and existing TV.

Another tough decision is 5.1, 6.1, 7.1.

Do you know of anyplace in the Indianapolis, IN area where I can listen and compare?

In a 5.1 or 6.1 system do I place front and back speakers on walls that face each other? or do I place rear speakers on the side wall a little above listening height and a little behind the sweat spot if I can?

When wiring, if I run the wires during construction and terminate on a wall face plate and then plug speaker cables into a corresponding plug and run to the receiver will I lose any sound from the extra termination? It sure seems logistically cleaner.

This will also be our main stereo. How should that affect my decisons? More important for A and B channels?

Thank you for any or all comments, I'm struggling a little.

While I might not have your credentials as a tightwad, tightwad... I do have a healthy respect for getting good value for the money spent.

For questions of this kind, some idea of your room size and configuration would be helpful. Generally, opting for Klipsch speakers in the Reference family all the way around is a definite plus to your line of thought. Is it fair to assume your Right, Left & Center Mains are Klipsch Reference?

In my experience, speakers in cabinets designed for them generally out perform their in-wall cousins... plus the upgrade path has more options.

Unless your room size is enormous, a 6.1 speaker configuration is easily the best choice... and an odds on favorite to become the new standard over the next few years. Most modern receivers provide 6.1 output from 5.1 AND 6.1 sources. The trend in mixing HT and multi-channel music source material provides an excellent opportunity to get ample ambient PLUS critical localization sounds from monopole speakers... which usually offer better tone and timbre matching with your mains.

However, much of the TV broadcast in most markets is outdated ProLogic rather than 5.1 (or above) so using WDST speakers can cost-effectively fill in the gaps as side surrounds. Since WDST speakers spray their highs frontward and backwards... with their single woofer pointed toward the sweet spot (or a bit behind IMHO)... I do not recommend them for the back wall... better to go with monopoles to reduce overlapping side surround and rear effects.

Actually, I prefer one WDST on the back wall and a pair of side-surround monopoles facing one another a foot or two behind and above your ears when seated in the sweet spot. The problem is that WDST is most helpful when ProLogic material is played... and most receivers will not provide a discrete signal to the rear effects speaker when processing ProLogic source data.

It will be a neat trick if you can find Reference level satisfaction with an under $500 receiver... so I suspect a lot of us Forum members will be looking to your comments once you have assembled a premier "tightwad" system. cwm34.gif -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

Tightwad

Couple suggestions:

Evan if you do not plan to use a 7.1 setup now, do run wire now for a 7.1 - Otherwise you may kick yourself in a couple of years.

I also am building a house and this is what I did for running wire. I ran 3/4ID and 1 1/2ID PVC evectrical conduit to each location instead of wire. This way I can repull in the future if needed. Conduit is 95 cents per 10 feet at Home Depot.

I did not put in face plates. I put in the blue electrical box at each loacation then drilled the hole for the conduit. I plan to pull wire out of the box and connect it to each speaker directly. Can not comment on loss of signal for faceplates. It just that I always do bare wire connections so I guess am a simple guy at heart! My speakers are all big enough to block the open box in the wall - If not or I move a speaker - I plan to buy a solid faceplate and drill a hole for the wire to go through.

I am a Heritage guy - SO I cant comment on the speaker lines you are asking about. Im sure you will get good advice from this board.

As far as room dimensions. If this is a new construction and you have some flexability. There is a spreadsheet that calculates room harmonics and helps you place yourself in the room for the flatest responce. There are posts on the board where you can download it from. Otherwise drop me an email (look at my profile) and I can send it to you.

Good luck on the project.

JM

Tightwad

Just reread your post - Here is a few things I forgot.

On a 5.1,6.1 or 7.1 your side speakers should be slightly behind and above your listening position on the side walls.

On a 6.1 the rear should be centered behind you on the back wall above your listening position.

On a 7.1 the two rear speakers should be on the back wall above your listening position centered between the wall and the center of the room. (how do I say this better) If you draw a line in the center of the room. You speakers should be 1/2 way between the line and the corner as a general rule.

If you take my previous post advise you can put in both speakers now and run them on a single 6.1 channel and split them in the future.

My system is also for listening. Most processors have a 2 channel mode for music. If not or if your like me - I have a separate Mcintosh preamp for for listening, I put in a low gain phono switch between 2 sources and my power amps. With the best primary contact going to my Mcintosh.

Again good luck. This is a great place to ask questions.

JM

Good suggestions. Thank you!

The room is 25' wide by 20' deep. There is a big arch entry in the middle rear and an open walk way in the front right.

Yes, we're going with Refernce all arround. My wife is concerned about aesthetics so we're likely going with in walls.

I've read several postings on speakers for 6.1 systems but not enough to quite have the terms connected to the corresponding Kipsch speakers. Which Klipsch's are more direct and which spray more?

Good conduit idea...you sure would have thought one of these store salesman would've mentioned it?#@$^%&

I haven't yet come across the spreadsheet. It sounds good.

Twadcwm9.gif