Replacement for La Scala "A" crossovers....

chuckears

If I were to acquire a 41 year-old pair of La Scala's with the original type A crossover network, I would definitely upgrade... I have noted that the AL-3 is a lot more complicated than the more simple A or AA's, and am wondering what the extra circuitry in the AL-3 accomplishes, and which would be more desirable?

Actually, the AL-4/AL-5 is the most complicated. The later version crossovers simple provide a more extreme rolloff and some impedance compensation. There are some sound differences between the AA/A, AL, AL-3, AL-4/5. Low volume listeners tend to like the earlier xovers better, very high volume listeners the later versions.

I am a moderate-volume listener, but like acoustic music at live-sounding levels, and would be running them as the mains in my modest home theater set-up.

Is there any cost-to-performance value between the AA, Al-3 through -5 series that would qualify as the best value, given my stated listening preferences?