samesubject, new developments

Hi guys, As you may or may not know I have been trying to get tunes from older Gateway to my Yamaha RX-V665. After running a 50ft lenght of 2 RCAs and h/ud up to both devices I got music but an intolerable hum along with it.Today I was messing around w/ the rear of the Yamaha and low and behold by removing my tv HDMI cord all hum was gone and the music came through loud and clear. I know this is not the scenario I wanted but clearly it's a step in the right direction.Gateway was no help it's an older unit and Yamaha could not explain why removing a plug rectified one problem.I'm kinda happy that the lenght is not an issue but on the other hand I have no idea what is causing the interference.Now to read your responses, I thought I'd get this out first.......LW

It appears you have equipment plugged into different outlets, causing a ground loop. Removing the HDMI broke the loop. Try moving the Gateway and plugging it into the same recepticle with the Yamaha.

You could also have a problem with your cabling. Verify that the wires are the proper ones and are connected properly.