My home theater is complete

skonopa

Well, guys, my home theater setup is finally complete. After much learning and auditioning and getting advice, suggestions from folks on this forum as well as elsewheres, this is what I finally ended up with:

Denon AVR3802

RF-3II Fronts

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds (A)

Infinity RS2000.5 Surrounds (B - recycled from old setup)

RC-3II Rear

And last but not least - I did trade in my KSW-12 subwoofer and ended up getting one of these babies!

Yes, that is a REL Storm III! I have auditioned just about every dang subwoofer that I could find, including the RSW-12 that I was originally going to get and I have never heard bass so clean. Not only that, this thing can crank, especially in my small 14x14 room! Don't let the 150 watt (300 watt peak) amp fool you! However, that was not a cheap purchase - that thing set me back a good $2K. For a little more money, I could probably have gotten myself dual SVS CS-Ultras ala HornED! But, damn, that bass that Storm III produces is nothing short of astonishing - both for music and movies! However, i would still love to auditioned an SVS sub as well as an RSW-15, neither of which I could find available at any of the dealers in this area. Even if I could, I have a feeling, I'd stick with the REL.

This link has a really good in-depth review of the REL Storm III subwoofer.

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/OCT01/EQUIP/equip3OCT01.html

To round out the setup, I have a 32 inch Sharp for a TV, an ancient Sanyo VCR and an ancient Sharp CD Player. For DVD, I have JVC XV-S65GD. I also have an RCA Ultimate TV/DirectTV reciever, which is fully Dolby/DTS capable (there is some content, especially pay-per-view that is Dolby Digital on DirecTV). To play around and to see how it would sound, I also recycled the sub from my old setup (Yamaha YST-SW40) and hooked it up as a second sub. For such a small, cheap sub (50 watts, 8 inch drivers), it produces a surprising powerfull and clean bass.

Some future upgrades I am considering - getting an HDTV, replacing the Infinity towers with a second set of RF-3s, and getting a second REL Storm III. Also would like to upgrade the CD Player.

I just went and watched The Matrix on my new system and my god, was that awesome!!

I'll have to scrounge up a digital camera and take pictures of my setup (which is probably one of the worlds smallest home theaters Smile.gif ).

Thanks everyone for all your help in helping me put this together. This will be a setup I'll enjoy for many years to come!

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Another proud member of the "Klipsch Klub".

This message has been edited by skonopa on 04-24-2002 at 12:46 AM

Dude, that is insane! I have the RSW12 and my gawd I have more than enough crystal clear base. But, if your happy thats what matters. cwm32.gif

Besides, I didn't want to infect my Klipsch system with impurities.cwm4.gif

------------------

Internet Software Engineer: Will code for HT upgrades.

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-24-2002 at 01:07 AM

Yes, I do have to agree - the RSW-12 is a very nice sub, but when I went to trade up my KSW-12, the salesman suggested that if I am going to spend that much money on a subwoofer, at least give the REL a listen. Listened to several of the REL models as well as several other subwoofer including an RSW-10 as well as the RSW-12. As surprised as I was, there was no friggan comparison! The REL just kicked the RSW-12's butt, despite not having as powerful an amp! I tried both music and movie sources. For music, I tried hard rock (which I normally listen to), jazz as well classical. I also watched some scenes from a few movies, such as in Air Force one when fighter jets fired a missle at the presidential jet, as well as The Matrix's famous Lobby Shoot-out. I also tried some scenes from Final Fantasy. I could not believe it, but I am quite certain about what my ears were hearing! Not only that, the thing was handmade in the UK and the particular one I have has a really handsome cherry cabinent. Not only that, the thing friggan weights a ton! (Actually about 65 pounds - but that is pretty damn heavy for a sub). Wait till mine gets broken in and it'll be friggan sweet!

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Steve, I'm glad your ears are happy and welcome to the wonderful world of Klipsch... and the upgrade path that naturally follows.

The Rel Storm III is a great sub... I know, I had one just like yours on my own multiple subwoofer upgrade path to the 7' dual stacked SVS Ultra Tower. You sure could have done a lot worse.

Enjoy what you have... but don't close your ears to the upgrade path that bigger horns have to offer! -HornED

PS: I've edited this post to explain why I upgraded to SVS. I believe that the two cornerstones of building a great HT system is a Center equal to the Mains and enough Subwoofer(s) to meet Dolby Reference Level for professional theaters (121.5 dB). This provides that my guests enjoy more of the HT/DVD mixing bias and the full impact range of the Dolby Digital .1 LFE and non-directional bass.

A single Rel just didn't come up to the specs... and the SVS offered an easy upgrade path for both the megawatt pro power amp and SS drivers. But that is not to say that the British made Rel isn't one of the finer choices you could have made to grow your HT experience.

I don't mean to rain on your parade... just suggesting that your use of the title "My home theater is complete" usually doesn't fit the pursuit of better sound. Enjoy... you're on a roll!!!cwm12.gif -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-24-2002 at 06:02 AM

Well for what it is worth I think you made a good decision buying the REL. I have the REL Strata 3 sub and am deliriously happy with it.

I bought it for music listening primarily and the most important thing for me was that it should simply extend the range of my Heresy's for last octave type stuff.

I am happy to report that not only do people totally forget I have a sub, but many times I start to think it is not working. It is only when I go to turn it off that I realise it is there and doing its thing - the difference in sound is night and day!

Of course, I too have never heard an SVS (not sold in Greece) but to my mind this REL is doing exactly what I wanted.

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

MaxG, you know that I am a fan of the many wonderful things about Greece, not the least of which is the Athens Audiophile Club... but doing without a megawatt, reference level, two meter tall, dual Ultra SVS tower is not my idea of having fun. Since SVS is a small company that only sells through the Internet, the first time I heard them was in my own home theater. The next day I shipped my Rel to a Texas friend who asked to have the first chance to buy it if I ever let the Storm III go.

I was editing my above post when you posted yours. The comment you made about checking to see if your sub was working is very familiar to me... and of course, that is the way it should be. When I first turned on the megawatt stereo power amp for my SVS Ultras, I was a bit dismayed by the blinking lights that show two levels of sub activity for both units and also warn of any clipping. But, the SVS (like the Rel) is so clean and natural that now I am glad I can glance over at the rack and see that all is well.

Of course, when an organist pedals low... you know... and you don't need to see the light when Das Boot gives you the surreal notion to check your room for leaks!cwm35.gif.

It is significant to note that even at $32,700 a pair, the audiophile, full-range, aluminum, Krell Lat-1's roll off before reaching the deep bass adequate subs effortlessly provide. Of course, Krell sells a megabuck Master Reference Subwoofer to seamlessly patch in the bottom.

Great Home Theater should be built upon the natural sounds that are beyond the reach of anything but a great subwoofer. And you are oh so right, MaxG, music or movies without accurate and sufficient low bass just doesn't measure up on the ecstasy scale.cwm32.gif -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

HornED quotes:

Enjoy what you have... but don't close your ears to the upgrade path that bigger horns have to offer! -HornED

Oh you better believe I'll ejoy what I have, however, I will not close my ears to the upgrade path, but right now, I just simply cannot open my wallet to it! I plan on sticking with what I have now for several years and perhaps, in the future, I'll look into upgrading. I did mentiond that I'd like to add a second sub as well as perhaps getting a second set of RF-3s. That second sub may be a Storm III or perhaps, I'll end up doing what you did - sell off the Storm III and getting twin SVS Ultras, but that won't be for awhile. I am still young ('only' 32), so I got plenty of time to enjoy what I have and consider upgrades as I see fit (and what I can afford) as the situation and my tastes change.

The main reason for the major upgrades I did over this past month was that I bought a DVD player and a new reciever (the Denon AVR3802), and decided I wanted much better speakers than what I originaly had. Now that I got them, I am satisfied for now and this system taken as a whole really does sound great. If there is going to be any more major upgrades, it'll be in the video department - i.e., a newer, bigger High-Definition TV (by the time I am ready, hopefully those nifty new flat-panel, wall mountable, plasma displays will be much cheaper).

HornED, you did catch me on one point. I did say my home theater was complete. To be more accurate, I should have said it is complete for now.

BTW, thanks for your suggestions and advice in helping me select a good set of surrounds for my system.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

This message has been edited by skonopa on 04-24-2002 at 04:42 PM

quote:

Originally posted by skonopa:

I did mentiond that I'd like to add a second sub as well as perhaps getting a second set of RF-3s. That second sub may be a Storm III or perhaps, I'll end up doing what you did - sell off the Storm III and getting twin SVS Ultras

Damn, dude, you get any more base and your neighbors are going to start throwing stones at your house.cwm27.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>