KI-362 installation

br0uce

Our church uses 4 KI-362 speakers for our mains, 2 on each side. We're a portable church, so even though these are the installation version, we've been using them on speaker stands for 10 years. We've been given permission to finally mount the speakers from the ceiling.

We also have 2 of the single 18" subwoofers (can't remember the model number). Couple of questions:

1. Since the KI-362s have the option of rotating the mids and highs, I'm contemplating hanging these horizontally, almost like in a line array fashion, and turning the horns 90 degrees. Do you think this would work, and if so, can I mount them by stacking them together at the angle of the boxes? Didn't know if that would cause interference with the mids and highs since the horns will be turned.

2. Whether I hang them horizontally or vertically (like we use them on the stands), would it be best to try to hang the 18" subs with them, or just keep them on the floor?

After reading some of the forum topics here, I thought I'd ask the advice of the people who seem to know the most about these speakers. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Just looked at the subwoofers we're using. They are KP-115s, so 15" instead of 18".

• 2 months later...

I would not 'tight pack' them in the fashion you describe no more than I'd place them side by side in their standard orientation. The cabinet sides do not agree with the angle of the 90 degree horn and there will be interference. They were built to use with the KI215 dual 15 bass unit between them, there is a diagram which describes the spacing needed to keep the horns in alignment. Line arrays are a totally different animal, you can't create it out of point-source boxes.

The rotatable horn pods were meant for locations where you'd have KI362/215/362 in a single cluster, hung using ATM flyware and angled downward, in this way the horns could rotate 22 degrees so that the would more closely get back to horizontal orientation.

In any case, ATM type flyware or eyebolts MUST BE USED. Do not attempt to hang with simple eye bolts, they must be load-rated FORGED pieces and all chain etc must be certified for this type of load. Given the recent stage collapses (one right here in Indy) there is a load of legal liabiltiy for hanging PA over the heads of audiences whether in concert or other locations.

I'd highly advise you to get a local sound contractor to work with regarding the flying of loudspeakers and fine-tuning a system for you.

The KP115 are a very compact 'sub' but really not sufficient to keep up with the KI362 cabinets, probably of some help but they just don't dig very deep or go very loud without getting noisy.

Michael

The arraying of your speakers should be based on the type of coverage you need. There really isn't a one size fits all, but often times less is more. Btw, I agree with Colter about the necessity of hanging things all proper like.