KSF8.5's, Athena AS-F2's or Paradigm 11se MK II?

Machwon

I currently own a pair of the KSF8.5's in great condition. A pair of Athena AS-F2's popped up on CL just down the road from where I work (Houston). They are supposed to be mint with minimal use, selling due to having a new-born, and he wants $175. I currently have a HK AVR-247, but am only using 2 fronts and a center for watching movies, and just the two 8.5's for music. I am looking at picking up an older amp (60-100 watt adcom or rotel, nothing crazy) to drive my fronts with more power, using the HK as a pre-amp so I can keep my HDMI setup.

Having said this, should I keep the Klipsch's or pick up the Athena's? Since it may be a few months before I spring for an amp, I was thinking I may pick up the Athenas and just see which I like better. The problem is, since Athena is not well known, I'm sure I'd be holding on to them for a long time if I decided to sell.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with both speakers?

edit: Paradigm 11se MK II now also an option.

Hey Machwon, welcome to the Klipsch Forum, we're glad your here.

I don't have experience with either speaker, but looking at the spec's on-line, they seem very similar. The Athena's may be a step up from the 8.5's, but they be more of a side step also.

I think, if you have the money and want to try them, it might be worth the effort. Athena's are pretty well know in the entry level HT market. I think they are sold at Best Buy and because of that, are more well known than you think. I've met a few Athena owners and for the price, they are pretty happy.

I'd be wrong to not suggest you look at a better Klipsch speaker. I think you'll be happier in the long run and as we know, there is nothing like Sweet Klipsch Horn speakers. Maybe something like the RF-42 or whatever you can find on your local craigslist, in your price range.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we believe there is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people who don't ask questions! [;)]

Again, good to have you here.

Dennie

Haha, I actually have both pairs of speakers in my house right now, althought the KSF 8.5's are for sale and I havent used them for about 3 years now. The Athenas are a much better speaker in my opinion. I have had both of them hooked up to a HK 3490 and the Athenas have a ton more bass, are front ported and have a nice lively sound, and play very nice at all levels.If you get them and dont like them Im sure you can easily sell them for the same price if not more. I bough the entire set used, towers, center and surrounds for $200 and sold off the center and surrounds for about $180 total very easily. I really like them for my billards room hooked up to the HK and iPod dock. Good luck, let us know how it goes if you get them.

I mentioned in the first post they are hooked up to a Harman Kardon 3490 stereo receiver, so they are gettting a solid 120w. I have also had them hooked up to a vintage Marantz, an older Yamaha, and the Athenas sound better on all of them. My roommates and I listen to about every genre of music except classical, and they do well with everything.

Thanks nixon. I may be looking at selling this 247 and trying to pick something up with a little more power.

What's the concensus on hdmi? I see a lot of people not using newer receivers/amps, so they must not feel that hdmi is a big enough increase in quality to change over. I've got a line on a Yamaha receiver that was $1,300 when new, 6.1, with 120 watts/ch and the guy will take $250 for it. No hdmi capabilities though.