K-Horns vs. LaScala

I am trying to decide between the K-horns and the LaScala's. What's the difference to my ears ?? Have to place them in corners...Can I go wrong with one or the other ? They will be in a large room (40x40) VERY live...hardwood floors , wood walls , lots of glass , stone fireplace . HELP.....NEED some good advice and suggestions !!

They both contain the same components but the LaScalas bass does not go as low because corners extend the Khorns bass bin by using the corner's walls. You are more likly to want to use a good subwoofer with the LaScalas.

Both sound great there is nothing like full horn-loading for realism! One possible problem - the horns tend to be very live and "bright". A very live room like you describe may exacerbate this. You may need room treatment (the room's acoustics is a very important, but often overlooked, "component" in a system).

Good speakers for a large room but you would need a center LaScalla or Belle if you use the Khorns or the LaScalas in the corners. You will need heavy drapes to cover the glass, some carpeting on the floor (wool best), diffusion panels on the rear walls and. perhaps. at point of first reflection( perpendicular line from center of mid and tweeter horns to side walls), bass traps maybe, absorption panels or thick tapastries or rugs at stretigic points on the wall. Also good amplification - tubes or, at least a tube preamp, if you decide to do this (it is WELL worth the effort) we can give you links to DIY treatments, low cost commercial products, and recomendations for amplification, etc. Just let us know what you decide and need.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 05-01-2002 at 06:08 AM

Definitely go with the big dogs. You will not regret it. And I would not sweat the room treatments; you may not need that much. The best sound I've ever heard from klipschorns, barring my own set-up (yes, I'm prejudiced), was in a huge showroom (Flip's Stereo in St. Louis, MO) with high ceilings, hard floors and lots of glass.

Soundog is right-on, though; a room can be too lively for k-horns. Mine was until I got everything in there, and they still needed treatment. But a large live room is going to be much less troublesome than a smaller live room like mine. In my opinion, a huge, live room can enhance the sound by providing delayed reverberation to balance the horns high concentration of direct sound.

------------------

JDM

Even with false walls... like PWK himself uses... the K-horns have no peer in the Heritage line... and few outside of it.

It is a lot easier to tweak room acoustics than bring a non-corner bass horn up to K-horn standards of horn loaded elegance. Looks like I'm with the majority on this one. Gee, maybe I am not such a maverick after all. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd