KG 3.2 rubber woofer surround

CallMeJoe

I recently purchased a set of KG 3.2s and found one of the woofers (K-1002-K) had a jagged 4 cm tear in the rubber surround. I found a suitable replacement surround and managed to pry off the plastic trim ring and remove the surround from the woofer frame, but the cone edge presents a different problem - the rubber is bonded far better than the foam surrounds I have encountered on previous woofer repair jobs.

Can anyone recommend a solvent to soften the glue without damaging the ICG cone material?

Toluene? Acetone? MEK?

I would not use anything like acetone or MEK,; With MEK you will probably melt the cone.

I did surrounds on KG 5.2s before. I was able to just peel the rubber off; and then remove the residue with Goo gone; then prep with several passes of rubbing with alcohol.

I imagine you should be able to just peel it off; it may be a bit hard to start; but once started; it peels like a banana.

Hope that helps.

I had my doubts since the glue's grip on the basket had been so persistent, but I set the woofer face down on some newspapers and started to work at the edge of the rubber ring with my fingernail. It took a brief effort to get it started and then it peeled off the cone very smoothly. Either they use a different adhesive on the cone than they do on the basket or the adhesive they use doesn't bind nearly so well to the ICG cone as to the steel basket.

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I had to scrape the rubber (carefully) off of the steel basket.

Not sure if it is different glue as you said, or just holds tighter on steel.

Glad it worked out for you.

Those KG 5.2s you have are BEASTS. (I regret selling my pair, but the Heresy had a bit more detail to me).

There are tweeter upgrades; etc; if you decide to go that route down the road.

ENJOY! KG speakers kick butt!