the worst possible room

cluless

Klue

Sounds pretty bad. The Cathedral ceiling could work tword your advantage - somewhat.

Will definetly need dampening in the rear - otherwise the slap back echo will cancel out a lot of frequency in such a square room. And GLASS... Sounds like an echo chamber to me..

What are you trying to do with this room - Listening or HT?

JM

sorry so slow,

Both HT and Music. Since the room is living/kitchen/dining I placed the speakers as if it was living only (half as wide). Results were suprisingly good, but short of moving, I was wondering if there was any way to improve the environment? Would choice of window coverings make a difference (currently bare glass - fish bowl R us)? Additional speakers?

Interestingly enough, clueless, there are elements to your room that match some desirable qualities of Floyd E. Toole, Ph.D... probably the foremost authority on acoustics and psychoacoustics alive today.

Dr. Toole suggests that more people should place their viewing screen and front array in a corner of the square, put the side surrounds in the left and right corners and some rear effects on each of the back walls. The sweetspot would be very wide and allow far more socialization potentially. And the bar would be in just the right spot for it!

In fact, with the distance to the side/surround corners you could have duplicates to your mains for they would have plenty of room to provide both a localized and ambient effects.

Using monopole speakers might as surrounds and rear effects has helped me overcome the problem of two walls of glass in my HT room. Even though I have blinds and drapes, using WDST speakers seem to compound the objectionable reflections... which may have been compounded by the cathedral ceiling.

So, in short, looking at your room as a diamond in the rough gives it a much greater potential to create a very nice sound environment.

If you need more clues, I will happily provide some URL's that relate to the situation. Be of good cheer! -HornED

PS: The green in the photo are draped windows with a large valance. The longer wall on the left is similarly treated. The right rear has an open vaulted space to the hall and main interior stairway and a half-wall with open bookshelves between rooms. It is surprising what you can do with awkward space when you get a few clues!

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

Horn-Ed...Thanks... I am by no means an audiophile...and in this forum I just kinda float along...and I really need help in my next upgrade...This year was the conversion from 2-channel (Klipsch 1985) to basic home theater...I tried to audition the new speakers and being largely invisible and "psychoacousticly" feeble...I gave up ...

Also...I like my fishbowl room...its like living in a treehouse...and since I gave up paranoia inducing habits....

HornEd

I never considered a diamond shaped room.... That is brilliant. The walls sound bounce would be naturally 45 degrees off the source giving a live sound without sound frequency cancilation.

I will have to take a closer look at Floyds ideas.

Thanks for posting this. I love learning new things.

JM