KG4 in HT

jpbpe

I have a pair of kg4 from 1986 that sound and work great. I want to use them in new Home Theater setup with Quintet front and surrounds. Any suggestions? Are Qunitets OK for this application? Should I consider others for surround/front?

Thanks

When you say Quintet front, do you mean using a Quintet center channel ('cause the KG4s would be your main front speakers, right?)? If so, you will find that you won't be able to hear the Quintet center over the roar of the KG4s. You want to have as identical a soundstage across the front as possible. Ideally, get a used KG4 as your center channel. Barring that, find a used KV-2 or KV-3 (I might be selling my KV-3, BTW.) as your center. Barring that, the SC-1 is the currently-made center that will best match your KG4s.

While it is not as critical to have complementary rears as it is a center channel, you want rear speakers that can "keep up" with the rest of the system in terms of volume. When you calibrate your HT setup, you'll want all 5 speakers producing the same volume level. That is usually achieved by tweaking the levels of the various channels in your HT amplifier. Given the size difference between the Quintets and the KG4s, you may find yourself really having to boost the level on the rears to match the level on the fronts.

Your best best is to get a pair of Quints that you can return, and try them as rears. See how well you can match the levels and how they sound. It might be just fine!

Also, do a search in this forum for KG4 and you'll find lots of stuff about using them in an HT.