RF-82 IIs or Icon W-35's

DrQ

Hi All...this is my first post as I just joined the "Community." I am upgrading my home system you see and can use your help. I will be using my system for music and home theater as well. I am running the Denon AVR-1912. So...I am undecided on the Icon W-35's or RF-82 II's. I love music and want the best possible sound...that is my goal.

Thanks in advance, Q

Hi All...this is my first post as I just joined the "Community." I am upgrading my home system you see and can use your help. I will be using my system for music and home theater as well. I am running the Denon AVR-1912. So...I am undecided on the Icon W-35's or RF-82 II's. I love music and want the best possible sound...that is my goal. Thanks in advance, Q

The RF-82II are half the price. The W-35,s are up there with the RF-7II

Thx Corn! Good questions...let's see. The room is about 20x30 but opens to the kitchen and rest of the house. I plan on having a center, sub , and surround. My wife is cool with whatever...however I think the Icon Ws have a more aesthetic finish for my house (rustic/Spanish). I love just about all music with exception of country (however I love Johnny Cash). I am particular to classic rock, classical, aucustic guitar with great passion for bands like the Who, Mana, Gipsy Kings, to AC/DC. I love a clear real life listening experience.

Let me know if you need more info. Thx, Q

Here's a second opinion on the WF-35s: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/154550.aspx Note the OP is comparing them against huge RF-7s (original) but has had several Reference towers previously.

You've got a big room, but I doubt either speaker would give you trouble filling it. You'll want a sub either way, but if you go with the Icons, you'll need one. That space is too big and the Icons don't dig deep enough. The off-axis response from the Icons is better than that of the Reference which means the Icons will offer a better listening experience at more listening positions in the room.

Both speakers throw a deep and wide soundstage but the Reference is more detailed. This is paticularly noticeable in the low and high frequencies. In the mid-range, which is where I'm a sucker for good sound, the Icons were far superior. Accoustic strings and vocals were much more evenly balanced with the low and high end. That's why I've got my WF-35s set up as 2-channel and my RF-82s set-up in the home theater. For movies, the RF-82s have an equally high edge over the Icons, mainly due to the center and surrounds. The Icons might be a little more sensative to placement due to the softer low end, but they are smaller than the relatively large RF-82s.

As to the looks, the Reference series is very aggressive and attractive, but the veneer is high quality vinyl woodgrain. The Icon's have a beautiful fit and finish with no seems and the wood veneer is equivalent to that of a luxury automobile. I've got mine set-up in the formal front room.

In the end, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either speaker and it simply comes down to a matter of taste.

Bang for the buck here would be the wf-35's on sale at newegg. The reference line has a much more refined low end, far crisper and never muddy. If you do get the wf-35's, make sure your receiver has the ability to alter the crossover, you may want to up it a bit to prevent any muddy bass from occurring especially if you have a sub running.

You certainly have a toss up here. To be honest, i would probably get the RF-82 II's in this case. The RF-82 II's have a low end that destroys the WF-35's and the low end should be crisp and clean without ever sounding muddy (i'm basing this assumption on the rf-3 II's i owned which were never muddy). They also have a higher output and should create a broader soundstage and this will definitly benefit you when it comes to home theater.

The W series is great because of its looks and small footprint. Most people dont need huge speakers but when it comes to home theater, bigger is better sometimes. I now have the icon w center and bookshelfs to complete the set if need be.

Either choice you make is good, you are buying a quality product and it should last you years upon years