Promedia with lepai tripath ta2020+

yoyoteng

My klipsh promedia speakers started making crackling/hissing/static sounds (again) like all your promedia speakers last week.

I've spent some time examining the components and found the circuit board near few resistors were discolored possibly due to heating, however, the resistor values were off by only a few ohms. To save myself the trouble and in the hope of hearing my kilpsch speakers sing again, I took the courage and bought the Lepai tripath TA2020+ ampilfier with Amazon Prime (I've also purchased a refurbished Logitech z263 as a backup, since Lepai sounds like something with minimal quality control protocols).

To my surprise, after connecting the 2 sat speakers and sub woofers to the tripath, and tweaking the treble and bass a bit, I was blown away by the quality of the sound.

The sound coming from these promedias actually sounded comparable to how it used to sound with the old amplifier from the subwoofer.

Compared to Logitech z263, I still favor the crisp and powerful sound from these promedia speakers. The build quality of the amp however is really crappy, but hey, it's only a 25 dollar amp!

So if you guys are on a tight budget and would still like to hear music sing from your broken klipsch promedia (assuming the broken part is the amp or the control pod, which usually is), I would definitely recommend Lepai's tripath ta2020. There are probably other higher quality, better-built mini amps out there, but just letting you all know, Lepai's tripath ta2020 works with promedia!

• 4 months later...

Hello.

Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 UItra

I had my amp repaired by elliot-tronics back in June 2008 (took a while but the repair was successful). It seems to have partially died again this week: no subwoofer bass. What should come over the subwoofer comes out on the front channel. Looking at your post gives me a glimmer of hope.

If I get the TA2020, I will need to get three of them, right? Front, back and center. How did you connect the subwoofer to it?

Thanks.