Need help designing a Center speaker floor stand

dachuckster

I have a 65 plasma and the Klipsch RF 7 speaker setup, including the RC7 centre speaker. Right now the speaker is on a TV mount attached to the wall above the TV. I want to bring it down below the TV but my TV stand is too small to let the speaker go inside of it.

I want to build a platform speaker stand. I plan on using solid oak 1/2" thick as a bottom platform and the platform for the speaker to lay on top of. I will elevate the stand with some 2x4's (cedar or some other type of rigid bracing) to get the speaker up off the floor and so the top of the speaker is just below the bottom edge of the TV.

In order to keep the top of the speaker just below the bottom edge of the TV, the top of the speaker will sit about 20" from the floor (the speaker is 9" high).

In order to aim the speaker at the listening area, I need to tilt the stand a little bit.

Sitting on the couch, my ears are 39" off the floor. If the middle of the speaker is sitting about 16" off the floor, about what angle should I have the top of the stand be angled at to hit my ears at 16 feet away? about 5-10 degrees?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Stretch a string from where the center of the speaker to the ear, and see what the angle is.

If you want the math, you start the triangle from 16" up. In other words, the speaker center is at 0", and ear is at 23", and the distance to the speaker is 16', or 192". The angle is 6.8 degrees.

If you really wanna get down and dirty, aim the center at where the mains tweeter is aimed. If it is exactly 39" to the center of the tweeter horn, you are good at 6.8. That way, maybe you will get a little smoother transition for sounds that move across the sides through the center, in theory.