Klipsch RB-61 II or Paradigm Studio-20?

mustang guy

I'm setting up a HT for dad, and I am torn. We are going to have to use bookshelf speakers in a bookshelf. The 81's are too large. The center I will use will depend on whether I buy Klipsch or Paradigm. These are the two best bookshelf speakers I could find at a decent price point. I will likely mate them with a Paradigm DSP-3100.

The reason I am considering Paradigm is my neighbor is a dealer, and there is not a Klipsch dealer anywhere near me.

Thanks

I love the 3100. I bought 3 of them! Lol. Paradigm speakers are awesome. Never heard the tb 81's but many times have heard the rf82's which were also awesome. I feel like the digms are more laid back than the klipsch horns so probably depends on what kind of sound your dad likes. In my bedroom and livingroom setups I use 3 klipsch WF 14's as my front 3 with a 3100 in both cases. They both sound great. I feel the wf's really keep things sounding wider and just big compared to what you would think a 4.5 inch speaker would sound. At $199 a pair they r a deal too.

I love the 3100. I bought 3 of them! Lol. Paradigm speakers are awesome. Never heard the tb 81's but many times have heard the rf82's which were also awesome. I feel like the digms are more laid back than the klipsch horns so probably depends on what kind of sound your dad likes. In my bedroom and livingroom setups I use 3 klipsch WF 14's as my front 3 with a 3100 in both cases. They both sound great. I feel the wf's really keep things sounding wider and just big compared to what you would think a 4.5 inch speaker would sound. At $199 a pair they r a deal too.

The WB-14's are a deal at that price but they are a little too enemic at 82Hz+, and the rf-81's are out of the question due to their size. It has to be like the RB-61 in size. They are 45Hz+ bookshelf speakers, which aint bad! No floor standing speakers will do at all in this installation. The Paradigm Studio-20 is 54Hz+, but has a gradual roll off down to 40Hz or so. Either way, I will likely set the cutoff at about 55Hz. The DSP-3100 is a no brainer IMO.

I want all of you to know I am true-blue Klipsch, but as my neighbor is a Paradigm distributor, I am playing some politics.

Not trying to sell you on the wf14's but don't live by "specs". The funny thing id most people on this flrum will tell you to cross your speakers at 80hz anyway so why would you even need a larger driver? The wf14's with the right sub can sound big.... As mine do with a low powered 10 inch sub no less. Rb61's are nice speakers but honestly the vinyl veneer doesn't look as good as the wf series. It's not bad... Just not as good. Not sure why they don't make a 6 inch wf option. EDIT... Of course I think the rb61's will sound great... Don't get me wrong. Are you going to use 3 rb61's across the front?