ht set up

midospike

Hello,

I have a str da555es dv-05 sony 36 xbr I got a hold of ht set of quintets with a ksw-12. In the last month I found mirage om-10 speakers for 450 a set. I'm using those as the fronts but I did not replace my center of rears. I was told to match everything? How important is that. to match just the front and center or all speakers? Also I need help with the working of the str da-555es. please help thank you.

Most would say it is very important to have a matching center channel speaker. When you change manufacturers, it is almost impossible to get a good match. It's even hard with the same manufacturer, sometimes. If you switched to Mirage front speakers, you'll probably need to switch to a Mirage center channel. Ideally, another om-10 for a perfect match.

Without a good match, you'll notice the sound changing as it moves across the front of your room, which will distract from the "movie experience."

Rears are not as critical as they present a different sound stage than the front. However, you need to be able to match volumes when you calibrate your system so that all speakers are set to the same volume relative to your listening position. That's done in your Sony receiver.

I don't know Sony products, but can you be more specific about what kind of help you need? I'm sure you'll get several responses.

Doug

quote:

Originally posted by midospike:

Hello,

I have a str da555es dv-05 sony 36 xbr I got a hold of ht set of quintets with a ksw-12. In the last month I found mirage om-10 speakers for 450 a set. I'm using those as the fronts but I did not replace my center of rears. I was told to match everything? How important is that. to match just the front and center or all speakers? Also I need help with the working of the str da-555es. please help thank you.

My other problem is running the receive in 4 channel mode. Can you with out the use of the sound modes. Is there a 4 channel out with usage of the sub out. I don't like the sound fields on all the time. Also my mirage speakers are tower speakers so I can't use an other one for a center.

w/ my sony u can only run the 4 speaks w/ sub in one of those $% dsp modes. u could a+b & run afd, then you'd have to get another set of rear surround speaks for ht. i'm considering doing this by putting a pair of rs-3 on top of the (yes rear) cornwalls & running the corns as Bs in full range stereo (do them the justice they deserve.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Midospike - Actually, a tower speaker can be used as a center depending on the physical arrangement of your gear/entertainment center (if any)/etc... Some people have simply inverted their tower speaker (hung it upside down) over the TV so that the tweeters align with the tweets in the left/right speakers. I'm considering doing that with a 60lb Forte that is about 36" tall...crazy, huh?

Doug,

That does seem a little to wild for me. I'm a first time home owner and i can barely fit what I have in the house now. Thanks for all the help. Any other infor on making my system sound better is well taken. Do you know of any other good sites to check out about HT. Besides audioreview.com. They are very helpful. If any one wants to buy HK amp and pre amp let me know. I also have some extra quintets and epiture 4 speakers and other odds and end laying around