Replacement woofer for KG 5.2

kbonanny

Hello, I never wanted to have to do this, but I had to replace 1 woofer 10 years ago as the rubber around the cone was disintegrating. Now another one is and Klipsch no longer has these available. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement??? I don't care at all about keeping these original, but i will not sacrifice the sound quality I get from these units!

I guess like everything else these too will age, but I was kind of hoping that the first time this happened years ago was a fluke. Both times it is the active woofer. These always have the covers on and are not exposed to direct sunlight. The speaker still performs well but it drives me crazy knowing that there is deterioration.

Thanks to all of the experts that reply. Klipsch recommends sending them out to have them re-done, but I'd like opinions from anyone who has gone this route. Thanks again for your time, Kirk.

I had this happen to one of my 4.2's, and ended up just getting it refoamed at a local speaker repair shop. You're not going to get the same sound quality if you use anything other than an original driver as they're specifically designed to work with the 5.2's crossover/cabinet etc. You could try Ebay for an original, but of course it would be just as old and who knows how it was treated or how long it will last. Your best bet is to just send them both in, and save yourself some future trouble. Otherwise get them repaired locally by a trustworthy shop, which will be cheaper.