Another Preamp Thread (if you can stand it, or diggit) Recommendations please?

oldmako

This week the sonic turd developed a hiss. It's very minor, but I fear it may be a harbinger of more sinister noise. It's persistant through all inputs, switch positions and both speakers. It's also persistant through the second set of output jacks (and second amp and second set of speakers). Because of this I have eliminated either amp and any of the other appliances as the culprit. It used to be very quiet.

1) Is my conclusion that the Pre is the problem reasonable?

I currently run two amps and two sets of speakers with the Phase 4000. I live in a van down near the river and space is limited, hence the four speaker set up. I'd like to be able to run like this with whatever I end up buying.

2) If a preamp doesn't have two sets of outputs, is it possible to use a splitter on the one set and still use two amps? Will it cost me any significant degradation or give me shingles, mumps, trenchmouth, gout any other heinous audio by product?

I'd like to consider tubes, but have read that tube preamps and SS amps don't play well together.

3) Is that correct?

I used to use a Pioneer SA9100 switched to preamp mode and the sound was nice. Better than the PL4000 S.T. And, I am not opposed to going a similar route, but no longer have the 9100.

I do not have an audiophile checkbook, yet I love the McIntosh look. Black and blue look great next to brushed aluminum.

4) Is it possible to reach near blissdom with 500-600 bucks?

5) Am I delusional and or smoking crack thinking that I can get something NICE for that kind of coin?

60 percent of my listening is CD, and Discs ripped Lossless to a Squeezebox server. 20 Percent Pandora and the rest LP.

Any opinions welcome and valued. Especially those dripping with sarcasm, disdain and derision. They will be graded!