how do i make my RF3 sound as good as a horn loaded ribbon tweeter bookshelf by japan , fostex

quadklipsh

Long time, no post, Quad. Hope you're doing well!

Fwiw, I've tried, really tried, to like such designs, but they're just not my cup of tea.

I'm sure you've received this suggestion before, but I must say that your room is about the perfect size for Heresies, or Quartets. Do you ever see any of those in your part of the world? They would make you forget all about fostex/ribbon tweet designs. Such speakers are typically aimed more at the SET amp crowd, and frankly, I don't think they hold a candle to Heritage speakers.

skibum,

thanks

yes i have been away from the klipsch forum.

Just being lazy mostly for going on line.

In my country klipsch retailers are few and only order the models that are usually in demand like for instance rf82 and rf 7. We get to see those aplenty .

But my dealer used to have a few heresy models . He said he could only order if i had to buy em.

And for the price of $1200 i think im gonna have to pass on his offer .

But yes i do enjoyed their sonic traits back in 2007 when i first and last time heard em. They had a special involvement .

For $1200 you could have someone in the States buy a very nice used pair and ship them to you!

A simple fostex speaker like you're asking about would have it's charms and be relatively cheap, so don't let my negativity dissuade you if they're readily available. The one's I heard weren't horrible, just not as all-around good as my old Klipsch. You may even like such a speaker better than your RF3s. The one's I heard did one thing very well (mids) at the expense of too many other qualities (narrow, if very sweet, sweet spot; picky with placement / room interaction; anemic bass; distinct 'shout' when pushed not very hard...). My impression was that they would make a cute office/desktop rig with a small SET amp, but they fall pretty far short of the brutally honest realism of the bigger Klipsch. Just a whole other ball game.

i totally agree with your fostex sound description.

Bass is definitely deficient below say 60s. And when pushed , they soon start adding shout and distortions.

But what about near field saturation of sound , which they deliver with aplomb. I mean i usually sit in 3ft from my left n right RF3s .at this closure they donot give a coherent sound as they do at ten feet from em. Fostex perform bettet at close range .

I compared klipsch point five speakers with fostex. Both had same sizes . To me the overall winner was point 5 but the highs n mids , clarity n detail was far superior in the fostex.

But they donot deliver bass.....nor do they take more punishment like klipsch do