Marantz SR400 vs 22xx series sound w/HBR's, other questions

thedanimal

I have a pair of matching 1980 HBR's that I'm using to build a basic 2 channel system for my front room. Here are some questions I have:

I've read good things about the low output Marantz 22xx receivers and how they pair nicely with the Heresy and produce the classic "Marantz" sound. I currently run the speakers through a Marantz SR400 from the early 80's. My question is, will an upgrade to the 22xx produce a marked difference? My local Hi-Fi shop has a 2215B, 2220B, 2230 and 2235B. Any thoughts on these?

Another option is to skip the Marantz and go straight to a tube receiver, which is eventually where I want to be. Are there any recommendations on FM/AM tube receivers that would match well? Any models under around $800 that also have a nice phono input?

I'm in the process of procuring new caps for the HBR's and want to do a little experimenting , so I'm planning to get 2 Sonicaps and 2 Solens. I'll recap 1 with the Solen and compare to the original caps. Assuming the Solen sound is better than original I'll recap the 2nd with Sonicaps and compare the newly-capped speakers and buy the remaining 2 caps that sound better. A little wasteful, but sounds like fun.

Thanks for any direction here!

Dan

I've come to the conclusion that that approach would be most prudent. The only issue now is that I'm come to learn that the prices for these at the shop are twice as much as what can be found on CL. There's a nice refurbished 2253b for 250, at the local shop the as-is 2230 is 250. I'll have to noodle on next steps.

I see you are running a 2245. How did you come to Marantz, and have you tried your Heresies with other equipment?

I always wanted horn based Klipsch speakers after hearing them. I researched on the net a good pairing and was happily surprised to see the Marantz 22xx being recommended. I think that series of receiver is very attractive looking too. I picked the 2245 because I wanted to have power in reserve incase I changed speakers. The H3 sounded great for mid and high but I found myself wanting more bass. So, I went out and got the Sunfire subwoofer. I haven't tried the H3's with any other receiver. But I hear tell from other forum members that vintage Denon is also a good match with them if you use CD's (look for a DAD -digital audio disk input). I dont use a turntable but that is a special consideration too (good phono preamp section).

Nice. My dad is a big Denon fan and I had a chance to take his equipment to college (20 years ago) but it didn't fit in my van :) Knowing what I know now I would have made room!

I came into the Heresy I's by accident at a local thrift store - I love them. I run a turntable so the phono is a plus. Your comment about power reserve makes good sense. I contacted a fellow on CL about a 2252 so we'll see what happens there!

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.