Sub settings for music.

dblue

I recently purchased a home theater consisting of Reference 3's all around (2RF3's, 1RC3, 2RS3's), and an SVS PCi25-31 Sub. The system sounds awesomeon home theater with all of the mains set to small and the crossover at 80Hz. But I noticed that in stereo mode for music, SVS lacks a bit of punch when it comes to rock. I then tried setting the Mains to large, and switching on the manual crossover on the SVS. (The Specs on the RF3's are 37Hz to 20KHz, so I set the SVS to about 43). This sounded muchbetter. Anyone else had similar experiences? I'm trying to get some other opinions to maximize performance musically. Thanks.

Dave Blue

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

Ah, yes, d-grasshopper-blue,"May your mind, despite the mold, water many things... in your Garden of Rock." -Pinky Lee (?)

You must remember that you have selected the SVS least likely to ROCK your rock. It takes a pair of SVS Ultras pushed by 1000 watts to hit Rock Concert dB's... and one Ultra can get you up around the 116dB level. Once you establish the maximum dB's you can get with one sub (whatever the brand) it takes DOUBLE} that to add just 6dB's more![P>You might try setting your SVS up a little higher with the regular settings at "LARGE" and see if the bass overlap gives you what you want... or contributes to a "muddy waters" bass to your rock garden.

Of course, putting your SVS in an ideal corner can also gain a free 6dB in added SPLs... that's why Paul W. Klipsch designed a cornerhorn in the first place. Sometimes seemingly freakish sub placement can bring acoustics benefits in some rooms. Also, setting up your system with an SPL meter (like Radio Shacks analog model for about $35 is much preferred.

With the SPL meter you can seek out and potentially destroy room modes which may be robbing your bass production by your current positioning. When trying to maximize bass production from existing subs (of any make), it is a good idea to put the sub in the middle of your sweetspot, play some rock bottom program material and first walk, and then crawl, around the room noting what's happening on your SPL meter. Where ever the SPL's are highest... that's the best place for that sub in your room.

May the Great Bass Dragon find other fish to fry once you re-position the rocks in your garden. -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-28-2002 at 03:55 PM

i found the same dilemma listening to 2-channel vs 5.1.

the real hands free solution is to get more advanced bass mgmt in a processor. remember when you go to 5.1 w/ LFE & have your crossover dialed down on the sub itself, you usually cut/lose some LFE cause it's all sent ONLY to the sub preout.

i got tired of getting up & switching the sub x-over on/off. cwm6.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks for your takes on it guys. LOL HornEd.

This lack of bass configuration was my only complaint with the Denon-2802. No variable crossover is a pain. (Unless you count the useless 100Hz and 120Hz settings).

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

dblue - Since the Denon remembers channel level settings for each source, if you use a different source for your stereo music (CD vs DVD player or combo unit), you can jack up the sub channel using the front panel knobs when you have your stereo source selected without affecting your DVD settings.

For example, I set my sub channel 4db higher than the other channels when the DVD is the source, and have it set to "normal" when the CD is the source. The Denon remembers that and automatically changes the channel levels when you change sources.

Maybe that will help.

Doug

------------------

My System