Matching Speakers

bmarch

i curently own HERESY II front speakers and upgraded to surround sound with SC1 & rear SS1s with a 12" subwoofer. i have a Luxman AV surround reciever RV-387 and am unhappy with the sound quality should i upgrade to RC3 center and RS3 rear speakers help me please!

bmarch:

Your current center and surrounds are not "keeping up" with the Heresy II's in volume or dynamic range, that's the reason they sound bad now. Actually, the RC-3 for a center would not make a good tonal match for your Heresy II's either...you DEFINITELY want good timbre matching in the front since many HT sounds go from right to left and vice versa. If you can get 3 more Heresy II's, that would be the best set-up. If that is out of the question, the KLF-C7 would match well at center. RS-3's are the best current match as surrounds but the new RS-7's due out in a couple months will match better.

In the meantime, make sure your surround and center levels are set at the correct levels with your Hersesy II's by using the test tone generator built in your receiver and, prefefrably, an SPL meter.