Image S4i and digital piano output issue

kevon18

Hi im just new here. Just got a question regarding if it's normal that my s4i sounds "incomplete" or maybe i can describe it as the treble sound is not producing correctly.

its like only partial of the whole treble frequency can be heard. But, when i press the middle button or the play/stop button the normal or the complete sound that i like is produced. I'm just wondering if this is normal or not. The input on my digital piano has an adapter (the 3.5mm jack goes to the 1/4 jack type to my digital piano).

Anyone of you tried it on a digital piano? Just bought this two days ago. Thanks for the heads up! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've noticed this with my older portable CD player. The sizing/depth of the jack must be just slightly different than the 4-segment Apple jack. It doesn't do this with my computer or my very old cassette/radio player or (obviously) with any of my Apple devices. Many 3-segment (stereo) jacks will work while some won't.

If you're good with taking electronics apart, you could replace the jack with a compatible one (likely less than $10).

The location of the tip and ring is the same....the difference is the extra ring taking up some of the barrel. What you need to find is a 1/4" adapter that engages further down the barrel. It sounds like the contact inside your adaptor is hitting the second ring instead. Unfortunately I don't know which brands/models will work - I just went through my pile at work until I found one I could use.