Need advice for building a surround system

boomer76

Welcome fellow Sooner! (from a misplaced one)

So here is a link to how I waited over time to get where my system is at http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/165290/1766939.aspx#1766939

So for an idea on what my system runs retail vs Klipsch's MSRP listing:

Front 3: $3k

Surrounds: $950

My AVR: $1k

My Amp: $809

My sub is used and discontinued but went for $750

I see a lot of people going after the SVS sub.... I assume you are talking about the rf-63's? seem to be priced pretty well, did you have to mod them in any way?..... Also, can someone explain exactly what audio components (amps, processors etc) I need to get to push an rf-7 or even the rf-63's.....or link an article that explains what i need and why it makes a difference/how it makes a difference in pushing the speakers......I know people say its all about preference, but when I watch movies, I like hearing and feeling powerful sounds with my movies...

thanks again for all the input

Audio Video Recievers (AVR) with preouts can utilize external amps. I started with my AVR, using its amps. AVRs may be rated at 120 watts per channels, but that power drops as you start plugging in more speakers. By the time you plug in 7 speakers, 120 per channel has dropped to around 60 watts per channel or worse. An external amp will have that power available, always!

So mine worked good but I had experienced the difference of external amps and am glad I made the switch.

A Pre/pro does the processing of the AVRs but doesnt have amps. It has to have external amps for it. The advantage of a Pre/pro is it doesn't have the interference of the power amp circuitry. Typically better sounding.

So there are some laymans explanations to get you in the right direction.

Boomer Sooner! Can't wait for Football season to get here! Thank you for linking that thread, I feel I'm just starting the Journey you went on.... I just met with my building supervisor at the house I just bought, (unfortunately I didn't get to design the way the bonus room was setup as far as shape) but I do get to decide what wire is put in the walls so i told him 12x2..... Can't wait to start piecing my system togethor.....

I will try to pay for everything in Cash but, If i see a deal i can't pass up...I'll just have to pay it off fast.....

thanks for the input everyone