KSP-400 problems

Peter

Hello,

I have a problem with one of my KSP 400 speakers. De midrange and after a few months later the subwoofer are making a very strange noice when I play music or movies, it look like the speakers are broken but I checked them and they looked fine. (it is not the hum sound from the power unit cables)

I can't explain the bad sound but the midrange sound if you put your hand light on it and the woofer sounds far away and also if you put your hand on it.... the sound is sometimes terrible........ It looks that by some frequencys it is worse...

I have a spare amp unit and a spare control unit, I replaced both but the problem stay. I replaced the midrange speaker with my good speaker but the problem stay. My Denon amplifier was checked by the dealer, he's ok. I saw a electronic print inside the speaker, I think this is a filter and I think this is causing my problem??

I send a email to klipsch for helping me, maybe they can send me that "filter" (if they have this on stock?) and I asked also for technical documentation. I did not recieve a answer but I send it a few days ago. Maybe they did not yet read my mail.

Why I also post this here? Maybe you can help me with sugestions or anything else? Maybe someone of you has that filter (or two) spare..... I would pay you of course! Maybe some has the technical documentation digital and would send it to me?

Thanks,

Regards from the Netherlands,

Peter

Peter,

I have attached the "Owner's Manual" above. I possibly have a scematic of the Crossover around in here somewhere, Let me see if I can find it and I will attach it also.

You may have something going out in the Crossover network. Some of these models had Amplifier issues, but the MF (Mid frequency) and HF (High frequency) should work without the Woofers. Are the straps between the HF and MF loose or corroded? This is sometimes the issue. You can try and take them off and check if they need cleaning. Be sure that everything is tight. Some people have bypassed the Woofers in the past, when the amps blew. Are you the original owner or are these something that you have acquired recently? I know you said a few months later.....was that from the time of purchase or was it something that came up after years of use?

EDIT Update: I just checked and I do not have the Schematic on file....possibly someone else on the Forums may have it. If someone does, I would certainly like to have a copy.

KSP400C6S6Manual.pdf

Hi,

I am the owner of these speakers from 2001, I have also the KSP S6 and a KLF C7 (and the promedia 5.1 and the X10i ;-))

My first Klipsch speakers I had for 18 years, a pair of black Heresy's

The problem started in 2010, not every time but sometimes and one year later the woofer came with this strange sound....

Now it is all the time, as I told I replaced the amplifier with my spare one but the problem stay.

I don't know what you mean with the MF and HF should bay without the woofer ?

Thanks for youre quick answer!

I have the original owners manual when I bought the speakers, but thanks anyway.

Peter

EDIT

I have straps between the mid and high freq speakers and feed the subwoofers with a "spare" channel of my Denon AVR 3806.

Everything is tight, I will check it again in the weekend. That crossover netwerk is that the electronic print inside the speaker?

So that crossover print is only for the mid and high freq speakers? Now it became difficult to understand, so were is the subwoofer problem coming from or is it still one problem....?

Peter,

Your English is fine......better than some that speak it as their First language......[:D]

The Woofer section and the HF/MF sections are seperate. Have you changed anything recently that would bring on this problem...changed the wiring, amp, etc? The woofers have their own amplifier, so you should only need a LF out of your AVR/Receiver to send a signal to them. Please re-check the Owner's Manual and be sure that you have the connections attached properly. Also, if you are using an AVR, be sure to set the LF to 80Hz cutoff. By what you are describing, it sounds like you may have an intermittent loss of signal somewhere. Also check your amp/speaker connections and see if possibly one or two strands of the speaker wire may be shorting somewhere. This is a common cause for distortion and is very hard to detect.

This weekend I checked/did the following things.

The terrible sound from the mid (K1057) and the big woofer can you hear when I play stereo.

I used only one amplifier from my Denon, so connect the straps between the LOW/MID/HIGH but the problem stay.

The straps and wires are in excellent condition, they look new.

Again I replaced the control panel and the amplifier in the speaker, because I want to check all the wires/connections in the speaker so everything was already open, the crossover print looks ok, no strange things, it looks brandnew, after replacing the amplifier and control panel the problem stay.

Then I disconnect the K1057 MID range speaker but left him in the KSP-400....... and I can still hear the strange sound!!! It looks the speaker vibrates? and that gives the strange sound when I listen music, I removed the 1057 and the sound was gone, I checked the speaker but can't find anything broken, he looks new for me.... whats the problem with him?? I once read something on the internet that the conus of a speaker can lower inside the speaker (hope I say it right)....

EDIT: how must I say this... if I tap with one finger around the conus, on one part of the speaker it sounds different

The problem with the woofer I can't find, I must replace him with the good speaker I think, see of the problem moves to the other speaker...

Hope you can give me tips?

Found the two problems but I am not happy ;-(

I switched the mid range and the subwoofer to the good speaker and the fault goes with it.

So I have two broken speakers...

K-1057-KB (120634) (1098824)

K-1060-K (121526) (1098826)