Thoughts on Klipsch Legends Line

jwooten86

Hello, fellas.

I currently have a modest HT system of RF-52iis, RF-82iis, an RC-52ii, and some older KGs. The system lacks bass but I have no room for a sub. The system is powered by a Sony STR DH820 AVR that I used equally for gaming and television. Recently, I had the opportunity to listen to a pair of CF-1s (single port) and a pair of CF-3s. I understand that the Epic line is not 'highly regarded' by many, but there were certain aspects of them that I enjoyed. Long story short, can anyone enlighten me on the Legend line? I haven't had the chance to hear any of them but there are a pair of KLF-20s for sale near me.

What is the best way to power these Legends?

Are they better served in HT setups or Stereo?

I'm no seasoned audiophile by any means. Keeping things simple would really help. Thanks

-Justin

I have both CF3 and KLF20 (two sets one pr for my daughter) I prefer the CF3. You want to raise them up so the centre of the horn is at your ear level when seated. The CF3 will integrate better over a shorter distance conpared to a three way. The tweeter in the legend KLF uses a poly diaphragm which the worst Klipsch has to offer so upgrade to ti diaphragm helps a lot, you should also consider upgrading the phenolic mid diaphragm of the KLF for a Klipsch ti diaphragm. The CF3 has a very good aluminun diaphragm neo driver made by EV. Better speaker in my view. The other thing to consider is the size of the horn which has much to do with how low in frequency the horn can hold its polar patterns and the CF3 wins hands down there. There are a number of tweaks you can do on a CF3 bur see if you can find a pair first. If you can afford it buy both and audition over time and decise then sell the one you like least. Then you will really know what you are getting into. Hope this helps best regards Moray James.

not sure that I understand your "stereo" comment? you can uses a CF3 on its side as a center if you don't have room for one virtically , matching the horn is going to give you the best results. The centre chanel from the legend series is a vey good one as centre channel speakers go. Best regards Moray James.