KF-28 no bass

brucan

I just purchased two kf-28's on black friday. They sounded really good in the store with a decent amount of bass but when i hooked them up at home they hardly push out any if any at all. Was wondering if i set them up wrong or maybe my reciever is to weak or what. I have them hooked up to the front left and right.

fact #1: big box stores are the worst place to demo gear but its what we have to work with. Their settings are often incorrect since they are usually switxhable for different setups and the settings are never recalibrated for each system. This fact is barring hifi dealers that have individual listening areas designated for specific setups. In a place like that, usually you should be prepared to drop coin.

Your receiver most likely isnt set correctly. You most likely have to set your left/right channel to the "Large" speaker setting and even better than that would be if you have the ability to set the crossover settings more appropriately. Try setting the crossover at 40, 50, or 60hz, whichever is available. Make sure you have good solid connections and that your pos/neg wires arent switched.

there is a metal binding strap that connects the top and bottom positive and the top and bottom negative. That strap feeds power to both the woofers and the tweeter. As long as that strap is there, you can connect your power wires to the top or bottom or even one top and one bottom, it doesnt matter as long as that strap is there. You really only have to remove the strap if you are going to biamp your speakers or biwire (which serves the same purpose as the strap).

What model receiver do you have?

aight so the wire set up is good. Don't laugh to hard at my reciever because i know how bad it is you don't have to tell me. Right now i have a pioneer HTP-071. I'm buying a new one when i get the green and a new sub but for now this is what i have to work with for another two months.

Yeah, you should definitely hear some improvements once you get a better receiver. I doubt it will fix all your problems unless there are some configuration settings you are missing. My Pioneer was very strong on the bass and I really enjoyed it for music, and it wasn't a whole lot better than yours. I would be on the lookout for something with preouts so you get an idea of what you want by the time you can afford it. Most would suggest even going separates with a processor and amp combo.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Home-Theater-Systems/HTP-071

the receiver says 100 watts x 6 which i doubt this thing could do on its best day. The high majority of manufacturers from the big brands like sony, pioneer etc often overstate the power out by a lot. They get away with it by not stating how the power was determined. I would say you would be lucky to be getting 50 watts a channel. This is a completely unsupported assumption but based on what i have seen, testbench wise of standalone receivers not part of a package and from better quality companies like rotel, anthem etc, their power ratings are often off by 20%-40% with all channels driven. Most receiver dont run a subwoofer either but this is designed to be a home theater in a box. What you have isnt bad! It just isnt designed or geared towards the upgrades you are doing by changing your main speakers. The speakers you have no are a completely different caliber.

If everything is hooked up correctly, your sound fields are correct, your media source is good and your settings are correct, the only thing left is the receiver itself.

What are you using for your soure material ie dvd player, mp3 player? Yes this has alot to do with what you hear because different components have different signal gains. MP3 players typically have a lower gain than a cd deck or dvd player.

I mainly use my xbox 360 for all my music and i have a sony bluray player at the moment. In the future i'm going to buy the pioneer 1122 reciever. Also 2 new subssince mine wont work on the new reciever and new surround speakers as well. I kinda figured the new reciever would help out some since it has double the power.