5650 protected - weird problem solved - must have been a ghost!

harmony08

This one sure has me puzzled. I bought a 5650 (one) from a guy, who tells me that he tested it b4 he sent it to me. I hook the 5650 up to my Sony str-da3600es receiver (6.1 suround) and then I get a message on the receiver that flashes protector...and then the receiver shuts down. I put on a Klipsch kg .5 bookshelf speaker - no problem.

On a side note, when manually trying to adjust the sound, I tried the 5650 at 10 dB and it was still pretty quiet in the rear (13' away).

So, the ? is, do I have a 5650 with issues? I read one post about setting the speaker to 4ohms....Receiver does not let me set one speaker 2 4ohms. I do not c any wires shorting anything out. Hmmmm???

This one sure has me puzzled. I bought a 5650 (one) from a guy, who tells me that he tested it b4 he sent it to me. I hook the 5650 up to my Sony str-da3600es receiver (6.1 suround) and then I get a message on the receiver that flashes protector...and then the receiver shuts down. I put on a Klipsch kg .5 bookshelf speaker - no problem.

On a side note, when manually trying to adjust the sound, I tried the 5650 at 10 dB and it was still pretty quiet in the rear (13' away).

So, the ? is, do I have a 5650 with issues? I read one post about setting the speaker to 4ohms....Receiver does not let me set one speaker 2 4ohms. I do not c any wires shorting anything out. Hmmmm???

Are you talking about the in-wall/ceiling speakers? If so, they are 8 ohm speakers with built in crossovers. What I completely do not understand is how you are getting any sound when your receiver has shut off due to a short circuited speaker.

Thx 4 the resonse. This is an in wall - right now it is out of wall! I just checked and the speaker works fine on an older Pioneer receiver. The sound I heard was when I was trying to manually configure things with the SONY receiver - tone, etc. I thought I had double checked my wires. Could this b that my wires r crossed - seriously, I thought I had checked them twice.... emotion-42.gif

My volt meter on the 5650 does not show any short. Hmmmm?

Thx 4 the resonse. This is an in wall - right now it is out of wall! I just checked and the speaker works fine on an older Pioneer receiver. The sound I heard was when I was trying to manually configure things with the SONY receiver - tone, etc. I thought I had double checked my wires. Could this b that my wires r crossed - seriously, I thought I had checked them twice.... emotion-42.gif

My volt meter on the 5650 does not show any short. Hmmmm?

The KG speaker worked fine from the same wire?

Played with things some more.... Problem solved - didn't do anything - maybe just unplugging the receiver and plugging it back n reset things on the Sony ES??? Anyway, the speaker works fine and I am leaving it alone!

Glad it's working fine. Don't you just love it when stuff fixes itself?