2 G-17s, dropouts when both playing

ScottMN

I recommended the G-17 speakers to my girlfriend for her home. She purchased two G-17 speakers. She is using the Airplay feature on both speakers. Her home is about 2,000 square feet over three stories and a basement. One G-17 speaker is on the first floor and the second G-17 speaker is on the second floor. When she plays both G-17s from her Macbook, there are occassional and persistent dropouts. The music stops for several seconds and sometimes for tens of seconds. She is not pleased by these interupptions in the music. Are the any settings I could configure to stop these dropouts?

Hardware and software: Music is played via Airplay on an Apple Macbook with two 2.4 Ghz Intel processors and 4 GB RAM. this computer is using the latest OSX, Mountain Lion, with all the Apple software updates; iTunes 10.7 has been used; this computer is connected via an ethernet cable to a nearby Airport Extreme base station; this is a current version of the Airport Extreme with current Apple firemware; it supports 802.11n; this Airport Extreme base station is set to update its firmware once per week. This Airport Extreme base station is part of an extended network, WDS. This Airport Extreme base station is located on the second floor. This Airport Extreme base station is linked (WDS) to an Airport express base station. This Airport express base station is in the basement. The Airport Express base station is the current version; it supports 802.11n. This station's firmware is also set to automatically update once per week.

I have set the wireless channel (for 2.4 GHz) to automatic, which used channel 1. I have also manually set the channel to 5, 9, and 11. The dropouts persist. I have measured the signal to noise (SN) ratio on this wifi network on the 2.4 GHz network. The SN is much better than the neighbors wifi networks. I can quantify if this would be useful information.

I have checked and did not find any firmware updates for the G-17 speakers.

The music can play uninterrupted for an hour or more; then the dropouts or interruptions occur, sometimes for several minutes.

If you can offer any advice, please reply. I can always check and verify the SN on the different 2.4 GHz wifi channels. I would gladly include any additional information.

- end -

• Moderators

Be sure to check the G-17 FAQs: http://resource.klipsch.com/Education/faqs/g-17-air-faq/

The most common cause of drop outs in the Airplay signal I've found is Bluetooth interference. Do you know if she has Bluetooth disabled on the devices using Airplay?

If the problem persists, I'd recommend calling us at 800-Klipsch for troubleshooting help.

• 2 weeks later...

An Apple network, using an extended network option, is likely this dropout cause.

This is documented by Apple on their web page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4587 in the section "Connecting to an existing Wi-Fi network as part of a legacy WDS or Extended Network", this is true "Due to the overhead required for this configuration, you may expect AirPlay drop-outs such as intermittent loss of audio."

This is how this Apple network is configured.

- end -

• 6 months later...

It took me hours of trying to get it to work!

Lucky me I found your post.

I had to turn the WDS off.

Now I had to switch to Powerlan for few of devices.

Shame that there are no updates that fix this.

Maybe someday I will need the Extended WiFi Network area.

What then?