Victrola ! Or back to mono in a big way.

CaptnBob

My sister in law just inheirited a massive wind up Victrola. It still works nicely, but only has a handful of platters to play on it. From the "HI, my name is Babbit" styling, I'm guessing World War One era.

In the basement here, I have about four cubic feet of 78s, mostly dating from the 1940s (Doris Day, lots of "So and So and his Orchestra," some Stokowski, John McCormack (sp?) and of course, the Okeh "Laughing Record." (I'm keeping that.)

Will these records work on the Victrola without getting destroyed? The tracking force seems to be in pounds. How can I tell which records are suitable?

Where can I get replacement needles for the Vic? How often do they need to be replaced? I seem to recall it's after every play for the cactus, and almost that frequently for the steel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob -

You might try the owner of Disc Doctor cleaning products, he has stuff to clean specifically old style records and may also have some insight into your concerns for what to play your old platters on. Also, Needle Doctor may have some info if you hit someone who has that specific knowledge.