SA-3 hookup problems

Bernie

I just bought outdoor SA-s speakers. Got dual gold banana plugs from Radio Shack that have worked on all my speakers in the past - including KLF-30s,Cornwalls,amps, and recievers and the spacing on the plug receptacles on the back of the SA-3s isn't wide enough. Why did you guys shift the spacing on the STANDARD banana plug receptacle width????? All the mfrs. use this width and 99% of all speakers........

Then, I went out and bought individual gold banana plugs for the + and - wires and soldered them onto the wires ends. Plugged them into the speaker inputs. Now the banana plugs are too long as they hit the back of the "C" braacket. Whats going on here???????????????

Any suggestions on gold banana plugs that will actually work for these speakers??? And why have you made it so difficult?? Interestingly enough I just got these speakers through Charlie Lanham via family friends. I'd appreciate some direction as I've just spent $40 on banana plugs with zero luck!!

Bernie:

Sorry for your frustration. The terminals were designed with that spacing to avoid confusion with European 230 volt hookups, which use a plug that looks very much like a banana plug with the same spacing. Although most of our other speakers use rubber plugs to cover the holes for the same reason, the SA product has not been changed yet.

Actually, there are a few reasons to use just a straight wire hookup. The SA's are designed (and utilized most) as a permanently mounted product. Banana plugs are mainly used when you move speakers from one hookup to another regularly, and their advantage is quick connect/disconnect capability. Also, if you mounted your SA's outside with Banana plugs, you'll eventually have to soak the plugs in something to get the natural corrosion and oxidation off of them that will naturally happen to them outdoors. With a bare wire hookup (with additional wire length allowed at installation), when the bare wire corrodes, just snip off the end, strip some insulation and make a new end to reconnect. The last reason for bare wire hookup is the always debated issue of the addition of the plugs in the hookup being an extra "part" that interfere's with the overall sound quality...in other words, the most direct path hookup is the best.

PhilH

Thanks for the response. You have a good point w/the direct hookup theory. We take the speakers down for the winter and periodically use a hard spray to wash the brick which is why I would have preferred quick disconnects. Also, are you coming out with a speaker mount that is more directionally versatile? That would sure help "tuning" the sound on the patio. I had to build a wedge for one side of the mount to point it towards the sitting area of the deck - our deck is pretty large.

The sound is great!! They work well and are darn accurate for what they are built to do. A little less efficient than my KLF30s but we'll enjoy them lots in the years to come. They also project nicely into the "Back 40". I'll be hooking them up to a Sherbourn 200 watt/channel amp soon - can't wait to hear the results!!

Bernie:

I've got KLF-30's on my main system and SA-2's in my Florida Room on the back of the house, opening windows to make them "outdoor" speakers. Definitely a difference in sound but the SA's really rock for their size!

The mounting bracket on the SA series is a new design intended to make mounting much easier than before by allowing you to mount the bracket, then pop the speaker in the bracket and attach it to the bracket. I don't see a change in the near future....sorry.

PhilH

dougdrake:

Due to the numerous tasteless rivalry jokes between Kentucky and Indiana a good one came to me as soon as I read your post. Unfortunately, if I posted it I'd have to close the thread and kick myself off the forum.

PhilH