Phasing- It's Important!

coolhandjjl

I did some testing on the Leviathon today. For those who haven't followed my madness, it's a 3-way tri-amp system with Dave's Eliptrac 400 as the mid horn, and what a horn it is!

I did a trace comparing polarity of the drivers and found the bass bin/mid horn crossed over region improves with a polarity change. (Mid horn to tweeter took a dip, so I left those as same polarity.)

Green trace shows all three drives with same polarity. Red shows what happens with I change the polarity of my bass bin. I'll do some listening for a while and see if I like it.

post-56162-13819828534196_thumb.jpg

It's not important, it is critical for proper setup. I too found that in my tri-amped mains, the RSW-15 subs must be reversed in order for them to play 'with' my bass bins, rather than 'against' and cancel some of the bass bin output near the crossover frequency.

Great graph showing the result.

The graph does show it well, but I want to do some listening to make sure it sounds well too. Since this is an all horn system, I'm careful about horny or honky-like tones. That frequency area can be a funny one, so if it adds any hint of honkiness, then I will go back to the former state.

Agreed, the crossover points can be troublesome. I have struggled with proper integration at the crossover points myself. With the goal of a (almost) single driver solution, I am going to take the plunge with the Oris 150 system. Making the single 8" driver go from 20kHz to as low as 150Hz. Then, take my bass bin from there down to 80 or 70Hz and having the RSW pick up to 20Hz. It should allow the majority of the octives in a single driver, thus simplifying the integration process....I hope.