volume,etc...

avman

so me and the w2b are listening to 'pride-in the name of love' on u2 rattle and hum dvd (get this one if you like u2!!)and i've got it turned up to near-concert level-not ear-ringing loud, but definitely robust...3/4 of the way through,i'm into the song,she turns her head to me,cups her hands and YELLS'it's a little loud'...might as well have been ice water down my back-what a drag!!

anyway, a couple of observations:

there is NO lighted or displayed indicator on my es receiver for volume level.at first i didn't like this,but after awhile,i found this to be a benefit in that if volume 'level' were indicated one might mentally perceive a limit to how far clockwise one should twist(or refrain from twisting) said control, and the combination of klipsch efficiency/dynamics AND a 60+pound,gold cap.filled BEAST of a receiver, with 1000+watts of subwoofage bringing up the bottom would face an artificial ceiling where one did not actually exist. this means when i'm pushing the upper limits of my system's output capacity/threshold of pain, i have to go by HOW IT SOUNDS. when i was experimenting w/my rat shak spl meter, i found that my equipment can give more than i can take-118dB for some material,and on other material at full-boogie concert-level my ears would ring after one song.i was able to find the 'limit' of my equipment...when it stops getting louder, and just gets 'noisier'..starts sounding strained and thin.this doesn't occur until rediculous spl's have been reached. a ? on another thread about power lead to this post.and for those who have significant others who don't like it as loud as we do:

'with or without you' i'll play it as loud as i damn well please!

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen