Image s4i

Terry Palmer

I have been a Klipsch fan for over 30 years. My whole home setup is Klipsch Reference,, even my iMac speakers are Klipsch Pro-Media 2.0. Yesterday I purchased some Image s4i for my iPhone 4/iPad. I purchased them at Radio Shack they were marked down 47%. I put them in to my iPhone and played some music from my Pandora account and was very disappointed in there sound! They were extremely harsh and tiney sounding. I took them back immediately. I had owned some Bose in earbuds they sounded awesome. But they wore completely out, wires broke and etc. Did I not give them time to break in? Is there other silicone ear pieces that help to increase the bass, and cut down on the tiness sound?

Terry

I own both the S4 and the X10, as well as several Shure models. Neither were impressive out of the box. Matter of fact, my Shure SE535 weren't impressive out of the box. They all require a MINIMUM of 20 hours break in. 50 hours is really more like it, and I don't think they really hit their stride until about 200 hours. Put some music on an iPod or something, set it to shuffle, set it to about 1/2 volume and just let them play for three or four days. The difference will be striking. The S4's aren't my favorites but they do a very nice job, especially at that price point, and I never found them to be harsh or tiney. If anything they are rolled off at the top and EQ'ed with more bass.

You got a great deal at the Shack - you should have held on to them and allowed them to break in properly. Maybe you can go get them back. I also highly suggest Comply tips. Less than $20 for three pair, and you can wash them and reuse them. I did not like the silicon tips at all but the Comply tips really help with the isolation. The S4 isn't perfect but it is way better than a lot of the stuff we see out there, some of which costs a whole lot more.

The i just means that it has the i device controls. A bit more of a refined sound than the older S4. Not as bass heavy but still rolled off at the top. Not in any way as good as the X10, however. The X10 is very open and airy.