Active vs Passive Crossover Qs. (Prev posted to updates/mods by mistake)

nola

Hello:

I hope this is the correct Forum for this post. Considering buying active crossovers to save building lots of passive xovers to test out the items below and to test out different xover points easily.

I have mid - late 1970s Khorns and LaScalas. I have AA networks with Crites Sonicaps. I also have 1 set of homemade ALK Universals, bought as a kit from Mr K in 2009.

To test out: I have 1 set of wooden horns, bought 2nd hand in ?2009-2010, 1" throat , driven by typical Klipsch mid range drivers, same as attached to the stock K400 squawkers. When I tested these out back in 2010, I noted different tonal qualities vs the stock metal horns, but I could not say 1 was truly better than the other. (My hearing, my room, my rig). My goal - reproduce the original live sound, LOL. I could never figure out which was closer to what I thought the live performance would have been like. Living in New Orleans I can listen to the real deal all the time, so I spend very little time on my main room system now.

I have 1 set of Altec 511Bs with Altec 902-8T drivers. I am aware that the xover point for the K33 in the KH should be 350-400ish HZ, maybe a bit higher for the LS at 400+ish Hz. Altecs like to be over 500 HZ. So yup, we may have a problem here.

I have 3 MR94B Altec MantaRays with 3 Altec 291 drivers - but at 16, not 8 ohms. Ditto for the xover point from the K33 woofer driver.

I may buy replacement tweeters, eg Beyma CP25s as well, due to blown LaScala tweeter (vs new diapragms).

In trying to figure out whether to try 2 way (no separate tweeter) vs 3 way setups (with separate tweeter) with the Altecs, might it be worthwhile to get an Active crossover? In the past the Electrovoice EV DX38 seemed popular, but it is no longer made. They also sold for about $1000.00 new, often over $500 used. dbx, Rane, and Behringer also have similar sounding products listed at websites like Musiciansfriend, Sweetwater, Guitarcenter, etc. I would prefer not to spend $1k on an active xover. Many of the other brands have devices in the $100-400 range, There was a also a post on the MiniDSP, at lower cost. Marchand Electronics and Elliott Sound (http://sound.westhost.com/project09.htm) also have devices.

I have lots of amps, so even triamping would not be an issue for me.

If I mess with something to replace the K77s, like the Beymas or Crites CP125, Fostex, etc, but keep the K400s or use the wooden horns (but not the Altecs) should I alter my existing xovers somehow? I know Bob Crites has the A 4500 - so long as the K77 is replaced. Maybe the ALK Uni's or existing AAs could be "adjusted" too, perhaps by swapping a capacitor or 2, moving a transformer tap, etc, to save the cost buying 2 new xovers. Or would having a good quality active or digital xover be the simple and easy answer for my "experiments"? If so, which one should I get?

Advice appreciated. I have separately posted Altec/Klipsch crossover point Qs in this Technical Forum.

From NOLA with love.